LR3-engine just shut down while driving

Discussion in 'LR3' started by rs7trout, Nov 6, 2018.

1. rs7trout

rs7trout Member

2007 LR3 -- the Reduced Engine Performance message came on a couple times in the last week--but there was no difference in driving. today it came on again while driving then after about 5 minutes the message was gone. 10 minutes later I pulled into a parking lot and I didn't even notice that the engine had shut down--I was frantically trying to handle the steering-and managed to get it into a parking spot while it was rolling.

I turned the key off and then restarted--no problem and no message. went in and finished shopping--drove about 15 minutes to get home again everything was fine (needless to say driving home I drove in the slow lane in case I had to pull over and took the back roads)

Thing is it's pretty freaking crazy when all of a sudden there is no power and no warning--I was lucky I was in a parking lot when it happened--

the battery is less than a year old--as is the alternator and starter.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this occur or if anyone has any idea what the problem was --before I take it into the shop??

Thanks
    Ron

2. joey

joey Custom Rover Accessories Staff Member

usually when this occurs you should have some codes stored, which may or may not be easily read via an OBDII scanner. I would at least take it to someone that works on Rovers.

3. rs7trout

rs7trout Member

Thanks--yeah--I plan on taking it in for sure--was just hoping someone might have had something similar happen or some idea what the cause was so I'd have some idea what I'm looking at $.

4. Houm_WA

Houm_WA Full Access Member

I'd be pointing at the MAF Sensor or thermostat, but I don't want to presume anything.

5. rs7trout

rs7trout Member

Thanks--think the thermostat is within a year--but the MAF may not be.

Houm_WA likes this.
  6. rs7trout

rs7trout Member

Hopefully problem solved--took it into the shop--Crank Sensor! Hopefully this helps someone else that may experience a similar problem.

(And hopefully that solves the problem)

thanks
    Ron

7. rs7trout

rs7trout Member

Well codes showed crank sensor fault which was replaced and a week later same thing happened--code went on reduced engine performance---once stopped and restarted code went off and then a couple of days later while coming to a stop(at under 5MPH) the engine shut off again---restarted fine and for the last few days no codes and everything working as normal--

obviously some gremlin in the works--any other ideas if it didn't show up in code the first time around??

thanks
    Ron

8. maxx4wd

maxx4wd Full Access Member

So I just had a 2 month issue where I was getting zero codes and similar engine shut off issues (although all mine came at times when I wasn't driving - usually stop signs or lights etc). I had just replaced my MAF which was half the problem...I put in a non original MAF and apparently these cars are real sensitive to which type of MAF you choose. Stick with the original...this solved my stalling issue mostly but I also had a horrible stumbling idle that I finally traced back to 2 bad coils. So I would check these items first as these were the items that my ESC apparently didn't report an issue with but were malfunctioning and causing the issue...I've also had a thermostat go out and cause a rough idle (but never stalling) so hopefully that helps you some.

9. rs7trout

rs7trout Member

Thanks--I replaced all the coils recently--kind of suspecting that maybe I didn't replace the MAF (had a range rover that I did replace the MAF on--prob got them mixed up in my head!!)

Will try that next---weird thing is since last week when it last shut down-it hasn't happened since--nor has the reduced engine perf code come back on--gremlins!!!

10. maxx4wd

maxx4wd Full Access Member

Mine was intermittent like that as well...drove me crazy for better half of the summer...good luck and the only other thing I replaced was the RF capacitor that filters the electronic noise from the ignition to the ESC - didn't seem to do much but I did notice the idle working much better afterwards...probably not the problem but for 15 bucks its worth replacing ever 100k or so.