LR3 Lift Kit

Trynian

Reaction score
...the only real reason to do it is to fit bigger tires.

Are you guys (Allodial and Trynian) referring to using the rod-mod in general?...or are you referring to going beyond a 2" lift to a 2.5" lift?

I'm a part-timer on the lift (install before "gameday") and I don't see a down-side to using it as needed. ...but what the hell do I know? I think "time will tell" is the key phrase here indeed.

Referring mostly to using it full time. Some, especially on the UK boards seem to think it will cause problems.

I don't know either way. It probably has no issues using it the way you do. I just personally see no reason for me to use it when I can get that extra lift anytime I need it via super extended.

Some like it so they can go over 30 in offroad height, I have no need to do that either, if I need that level of clearance I would not be traveling at 30+.

Some like it for using oversized tires, if you get a fault and go to the stops you are in a much worse situation then if you stick with 31.5" or less tires.

I have done most all of the most advanced trails in SoCal with no issue with 31.5" BFG's. Some that even have claims of being impossible without larger tires.

Plus, I don't want to be switching it out at the trail as I do not care to drive to the trails in offroad height.

It is just my personal preferance.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree; it's personal preference. I run 32" MT/Rs; how do you get to super-extended height anytime you want? Do you lower your rig onto a jack or object? One poster has mentioned that the Faultmate MVR (I think) will allow the user to re-program the suspension; that would be sweet, but much more expensive.

Note that with the rod-mod installed, as long as you don't try to get super-extended mode by holding the toggle up, there should be no problem with faults....you'd be utilizing what the system allows only. The only time I've gotten a fault or heard of anyone getting a fault is in that manner. It was a simple "amber" fault too...and later a guy at LR service read it for me and it was "suspension out of range." No biggie at all, really.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are 10 mils shorter. The stainless is the best way to go. I have had some extreme articulation with no problems. Mine are precision made and reliable. I provide a three year warranty and will replace for free any parts. We have a large inventory and can ship next day.

Johnsonrods.com

Trynian

Reaction score
I agree; it's personal preference. I run 32" MT/Rs; how do you get to super-extended height anytime you want? Do you lower your rig onto a jack or object? One poster has mentioned that the Faultmate MVR (I think) will allow the user to re-program the suspension; that would be sweet, but much more expensive.

Note that with the rod-mod installed, as long as you don't try to get super-extended mode by holding the toggle up, there should be no problem with faults....you'd be utilizing what the system allows only. The only time I've gotten a fault or heard of anyone getting a fault is in that manner. It was a simple "amber" fault too...and later a guy at LR service read it for me and it was "suspension out of range." No biggie at all, really.

Yes whenever I am going over something that drags or gets close to my sliders I just drop suspension and it goes up into exteneded. That is when I need it.

The fault I am refering to is not because of the use of the rods. Faults can happen regardless, such as sensors going bad etc. If using oversized tires you will have more issues if you get knocked down to the bumps.

I am getting a fualtmate but not so I can raise the suspension but so I can make repairs like sensor failures in the field.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right...a failure leaving me on the bumpstops when I have the 32s on would be a major problem. I always travel with the stock rods and two extra sensors just in case.

...only issue is that the sensors I have are both for the rear! I'm not sure what would happen if I slapped one of those suckers on the front...I should probably just get a pair of front sensors as well.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3 Lift

Why not just use the rods and not worry about having to go into extended when you hit bottom. That can get awkward in a bad situation. I have been using mine with no problems. They work great. - Greg

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greg - heard you got slammed pretty ******* other forums. Re-naming a Filet O' Fish into Filet Of Fish is not innovative. Many people didn't appreciate your mass PM marketing and Friend Requesting strategy to boost sales and exposure. Any 49 year old person can contact Legal Zoom and "start" a business. I seriously doubt you even go off-road. Well,...maybe for the 6 pictures on your website. Which, entertainingly changes the wording from day to day. Looks desperate. Nice marketing. Welcome to the Clan.

Trynian

Reaction score
Why not just use the rods and not worry about having to go into extended when you hit bottom. That can get awkward in a bad situation. I have been using mine with no problems. They work great. - Greg

I think I stated why I prefer not to above. It is just a personal preference of mine and there have been no awkward situations. If i was to be stuck in super extended mode then the rod lift wouldn't help anyway.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the rods (only 2" lift) only when I'm on a trip or know I'll be off road. The rest of the time, I keep the standard ones on and the lift ones in the glove compartment. They're easy to get on and off in less than 15 minutes. I did drive back from Colorado (~1000 miles) with them still on, and didn't have any problems though. I just like to be lower at freeway speeds.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greg - heard you got slammed pretty ******* other forums. Re-naming a Filet O' Fish into Filet Of Fish is not innovative. Many people didn't appreciate your mass PM marketing and Friend Requesting strategy to boost sales and exposure. Any 49 year old person can contact Legal Zoom and "start" a business. I seriously doubt you even go off-road. Well,...maybe for the 6 pictures on your website. Which, entertainingly changes the wording from day to day. Looks desperate. Nice marketing. Welcome to the Clan.

Yes, welcome to the Clan is right!

Thanks,

Greg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just4sweep