Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slippedmydisco

Reaction score
I have owned a Disco I before and loved it. Getting ready to purchase another LR and trying to decide between a LR3 and Disco. Can buy a 150000 mile 2006 LR3 for $5000 or 100000 mile 1998 Disco for $5000.

I love the idea of all the technology and much higher hp of LR3, but really concerned about fixing the electronics. On the other hand the Disco has the engine reliability issues plus less power, but easier for me to work on.

If I were to purchase the LR3, how much would you set aside each year for repairs? How much do current owners pay typically for repairs?

Thanks!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lr3. $2000K per year will keep you tip top. Oops thats Can. About $1500.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3 is far superior. Maintenance cost is really more dependant on mileage per year than straight time.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 08 LR3 expenditures over 5.5 years has been just over 15k (including tires and "regular" maintenance). So, $3k per year could be possible (and this is all at an indy shop, not the dealer). I got mine with 96,500 miles and have about 162k on it now.

I had a 04 D2 for a few years before the LR3 and I loved it - did not want to give it up except for the fact that the indy shop is 30min from my house and it needed to have something fixed 6 times per year, which became burdensome. I feel the D2 was more comfortable to drive (for me), but the LR3 definately is more refined overall.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually contemplating this 2 years ago. I know you were asking about maintenance specifically, but I’m wondering what you want to use it for. Is it going to be a daily driver? Are you looking for off-road performance? I ultimately bought the LR3 because it is my daily driver. Now that we’ve bought a house again and can have more than 2 vehicles, I’m contemplating a commuter car and building a Disco for more serious off-roading.

Rover Runner

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned a Disco I before and loved it. Getting ready to purchase another LR and trying to decide between a LR3 and Disco. Can buy a 150000 mile 2006 LR3 for $5000 or 100000 mile 1998 Disco for $5000.

I love the idea of all the technology and much higher hp of LR3, but really concerned about fixing the electronics. On the other hand the Disco has the engine reliability issues plus less power, but easier for me to work on.

If I were to purchase the LR3, how much would you set aside each year for repairs? How much do current owners pay typically for repairs?

Thanks!

Personally I'd go for the disco. Item 1. I love the tire on the rear, if you have a flat in sand, you're going to pay hell to get the spare out of the LR-3 holder. 2. I have 2005-6 LR3 with 200K+ on mine, I am on fire trails, fording 3' rivers, crossing grasslands and in general, being everywhere there incidents to cover. I average about $1,500 a year in repairs, sometimes up to $2,000 depending what stupid thing Ford did while they owned it. Some repairs like the leaking A/C evaporator were fixed by drilling holes in the floorboard and putting a metal shroud under the foam rubber. Friends who have Discos's seem to never have troubles. Do I love my Rover - you bet I do. It's the only one in California like it. Go Disco.

Rover Runner

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd go for the disco. Item 1. I love the tire on the rear, if you have a flat in sand, you're going to pay hell to get the spare out of the LR-3 holder. 2. I have 2005-6 LR3 with 200K+ on mine, I am on fire trails, fording 3' rivers, crossing grasslands and in general, being everywhere there incidents to cover. I average about $1,500 a year in repairs, sometimes up to $2,000 depending what stupid thing Ford did while they owned it. Some repairs like the leaking A/C evaporator were fixed by drilling holes in the floorboard and putting a metal shroud under the foam rubber. Friends who have Discos's seem to never have troubles. Do I love my Rover - you bet I do. It's the only one in California like it. Go Disco.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your friends with Discos don't have trouble with them...? Do they drive them? Seems like Discos are far more problematic than LR3s.

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since day 1 of owing our LR3 I have spent $2473 on maintenance and repairs.
This includes 5 new tires.

We bought in Jan 2016 so that averages $700/yr for 3.5 yrs ownership.

But the bulk of these expenses were in the first 2 yrs . . . the last year + has been very light.

Not bad for being at almost 150k miles!

(Forgot to mention I do all my own work)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72