LR3 or LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjowenusa

Reaction score
I have two 2006 LR3's, a V6 with 150k and a V8 with 135k. Aside from front bushings, neither has required any expensive work. Neither has ever left me at the side of the road. I'd like to get a newer vehicle but don't want to spend too much. That's putting me into 2011-2013 LR4 V8 territory BUT these models seem to have a couple of frequent catastrophic failure points (like coolant crossovers, timing chains etc.) that can leave you at the side of the road with a big bill. Is there a compelling reason to go for an LR4 compared to a late model LR3? Yes, they have updated electronics etc. and they do look nicer but is there something significant that makes it worth taking those risks? The extra power would be nice but is not important to me. My V6 LR3 chugs along quite happily and has made 4000 mile road trips with no issues. Thanks in advance.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little bit better power in the '10-'13 model years. Upscale finishes on the interior and exterior trim (although many of us admire the grill, fender flares, and tail lights on the LR3 just as much). Personally I love my LR4 and I'm on my 2nd one, but if your LR3s have treated you well that's a strong argument for standing pat. Load space and functionality are basically identical. I kind of like the center stack controls of the LR3 better. I like that analog airplane cockpit feel of it.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If driving the V6 LR3 does not bother you then I would stick with later year LR3s with the 4.4L. Personally I find the V8 LR3 to be underpowered and the V6 is awful. It was a nasty thrashy engine in the Explorer not to mention when it was tasked to drag around the added bulk of the Rover. But in the end to each his own and if you are ok with them then v8 LR3 for you.

Little bit more power? lol 25% more. I own both an LR3 and 4 and every one of those extra horses can be felt.

Oh and for the record I prefer the understated looks of the LR3 as well. Better headlights too.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had an 06 for six years and put close to 50k on it, with zero issues.

Many long trips, including a 3k plus NY-LA cross country trip, super comfortable ride thru varying weather conditions (even with the stock tires), and zero issues.

LR3 has much better ride quality than LR4, both on road and off road, due to the much better suspension tuning, specially at freeway speeds and on the washboard type corrugated dirt roads.

Owing to its soccer mom friendly, sports car wannabe suspension tuning, LR4 is horrible and downright unusable on the washboard type of surfaces, specially with the stock rim/tire combo with practically no sidewall for airing down to mitigate the issue.

Also, because of this firmer setup, LR4 loses traction and grip very easily at freeway speeds if you hit a small patch of uneven surface, and you have to be quite aware and be on top of steering, to keep the truck straight on its intended course. The whole truck just gets unsettled and could be quite unnerving at like 70 mph depending on how long the uneven or bumpy patch is. Add rain to the mix and you better be on top of things.

With my LR3 on the other hand, it used to be a pleasure and confidence inspiring going over such uneven patches. Super calm, stable, and well composed, no matter what the speed or surface type.

What an absolute pleasure it used to be to drive that thing on the long trips. I remember having this subtle constant grin on my face :)

And to to add insult to injury, the soccer mom friendly over-boosted steering of LR4 further adds to the unstable feel post an uneven patch at freeway speeds.

While LR3 with its 4.4 V8 definitely felt underpowered at times (specially during city driving), LR4' 5.0 NAV8 has just "sufficient" power to propel the truck with less stress. It certainly does not make the truck feel super preppy like a sedan but it does give you a feeling of some effortlessness due to the extra torque when pulling up a freeway entry ramp while fully loaded with passengers and cargo.

The slightly better tuned for a few more horses 5.0 NAV8 with the current ZF 8 would have been a perfect combo in an LR4 and would have made the this V8 cross the threshold of being "barely sufficient" to probably "more than adequate".

But I felt that LR3' 4.4 was quite good at pulling at freeway speeds, with a sense and feeling of constant pull as you pushed it. Could be due to the power band and the gearbox optimizations for the freeway speeds. But I also felt that maintaining high freeway speeds on grades and at high altitudes of lets say 4k, etc, the engine definitely struggled and felt underpowered.

Having driven both 3 and the 4 for about fourteen years now, personally if I had to choose today, I probably would have chosen a lower mileage LR3 over an LR4 simply because of its much better suspension tuning and steering weight. Either that or I would have tried to find a great tire to compensate for the firm suspension of LR4, but then the very light and loose feeling steering weight of LR4 would still be there. Would have been a tough call for me :)

I would definitely try to test drive LR4 as much as I could under the driving surfaces, conditions, and speeds, you would be doing post purchase. Better to test drive the truck on the same familiar roads you have driven your LR3 on, and then make the decision.

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup the quicker boosted steering does not match the rest of the chassis of the 4.

rjowenusa

Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments. I think a later model, low(er) mileage LR3 seems the best option for me to replace my V6 LR3. Now to find a white one... :)

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a white 2008 LR3 with only 15k miles on it, but they want $35k!!

G4 CHALLENGE NEVADA PASSAGE EDITION

nd_rover_lr3_hse-pic-11943314034861233798-1024x768.jpg

rjowenusa

Reaction score
lol! I'm looking at a 2008 V8 SE here in Houston for $7500 with 125k. My wife would **** me if I bought a 14 year old Land Rover for $35k. Of course she has a 2019 Discovery Sport HSE so 35k would still be a bargain :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV