LR3 overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kieran

Reaction score
Hey all,
I purchased a 2005 LR3 yesterday at a dealership it drove great on the side streets around the dealership the only issue is the sensor was out on the special functions drive that switches it to gravel, snow, etc. However when I got it on the freeway to head home anytime I took it over 75 mph it would start to over heat. If I dropped it below 65 after that the temp would go back down. I returned it to the dealership and they are supposed to be investigating it. Anyone know what might cause that overheating issue?

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fan clutches are notorious for going bad in LR3s, but a failed one typically causes overheat on idle or when moving slowly (for me). Could be as simple air bubble in cooling system or much MUCH worse. good luck and let us know.

Rubber Cow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with the air bubble issue... I ended up replacing a broken T-connector in the cooling system and repacking some coolant. Had an immediate overheating situation- caused by an air bubble. My solution was to over-pressurize the coolant reservoir with a compressed air line and then release the pressure.....burping the system. Immediately returned to normal.

Ian Morrison

Biffo 69
Reaction score
Why don’t you change your Antifreeze to the new waterless coolant. This stuff stops overheating issues and one put in the Land Rover you never have to change it again. This stuff stop corrosion in the engines cooling system. It’s boiling point is much higher than water, it pressure is much lower than water so looking after your cooling pipes. I’ve had the Evans waterless coolant in my Discovery 3 close on a year now. It great and has cured my overheating issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72