LR3 Radio and Nav. temperature issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newton1995

Reaction score
I have a LR3 while driving today my radio and navigation system shut down due to a "temperature" issue. We have never had this happen, if anyone has an answer or reason for this, I would greatly appreciate it!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Moved to LR3 section for better response.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These faults tend to pop up in winter, when it's really cold outside and your climate control system is set to higher temps than usual and working extra hard. As the fan speed of the heater lowers (when the cabin reaches the set temperature), excess heat behind the center console can build up and trigger the fault, as the infotainment system detects the high temperature and temporarily shuts down to protect its electronics. Usually, everything starts working again after things cool down back there. :wink:

Mention it to your dealer, they may have some sort of software update for the climate control module to modify the airflow pattern and minimize or eliminate the issue.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This explanation is really good. Two additional points though: It doesn't have to be when it's really cold outside. In the past I've cranked the heat such that the temp was all the way up and the fan was manually set to one click. I wanted to have my windows down but put just a little heat on my feet. The second point was that it didn't have to be an auto-fan setting. It can happen on manual too.

I fretted about it after I initially encountered it (about 4 years ago) but after understanding what's happening I just learned to avoid such conditions. As far as I know there is no "fix" for it.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this explains what I suspected for the last week. We've had spells of cold here in Boston and I noticed that the Nav system seemed to struggle a tad powering up. I decided it was just cold electronics as it worked fine when warmer - anything around 40 or above it was fine. The engine also cranked a bit harder than it had in this cold weather, but that's to be expected. Glad to hear it's also quite normal on LRs. These are all the same signs/symptoms I've noted with my '96 Chevy Tahoe and '06 Garmin GPS too. Can't wait for the snow to play!

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey whydahdvr, what you describe sounds like a weak battery. I have had my LR3 in sub zero, winter snowstorms, etc., and I have never noticed it needing to "crank harder" than usual. In very cold weather, batterys can loose 40%-50% of their cranking power. If your batt is "weak" you really can't tell unless you test it. Most find out in conditions like you mention.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, could be a low battery, but it's not cranking that much harder. I'm hypersensitive to the vehicle as it's still relatively new to me and I'm learning its "feel". I also have had the two diff's replaced, under warranty, due to excess metal in the fluid so that adds to my sensitivity. I expect in cold weather to have a truck or car crank just a little bit more as the cold saps energy.
But thanks for the input.

Spence

Reaction score
Software

I have a LR3 while driving today my radio and navigation system shut down due to a "temperature" issue. We have never had this happen, if anyone has an answer or reason for this, I would greatly appreciate it!

I had the same pronlem , they did an update on the NAV, no more porblems.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut