LR3 Rooftop Tent?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had not seen this type of tent concept before, but I don't see why it wouldn't work;
http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/maggiolina.php
http://www.autohomeus.com/gallery/landRover.php

425_Montana-9-06-1.jpg

It seems to just add a pop camper functionality to your roof! I'm curious how they can say it will work on any factory roof rack as I have yet to buy a car with a roof weight limit that would support two adults...or even one for that matter. Perhaps the manufacturer weight limits are for a moving car where the cargo is under stresses of wind and movement. If you're stationary you can likely take a much greater load. It ain't cheap, though.

Thoughts on this one?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm pretty smart! :biggrin: Found the answer to my question in the FAQ;

Is my vehicle's roof strong enough to carry the tent and occupants?

AutoHome tents are designed to mount simply on a couple of Thule, Yakima or other aftermarket crossbars, the same as you would use to carry your bicycles, canoe or kayak.
The rack system transfers the weight to the structural parts of your car's roof. All roof racks carry a dynamic weight rating, to provide guidance on the tested limitations of the rack system when the vehicle is in motion. Most racks carry a maximum 165 pound dynamic rating, which means the rack can support 165 pounds of weight while driving down the road. AutoHome tents weigh between 73 and 155 pounds, so the rack system can easily handle the weight on most vehicles. When you are occupying to tent, this is a "static load", much more gentle and the racks can easily handle this weight. Always check with the manufacturer of your car and of your roof rack to determine the applicable weight limitations as they vary from vehicle to vehicle.

Now who has three grand you can loan me and a place to store this thing?

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the idea of rooftop tents. It would make camping that more fun. $3000 is a little steep though, my buddy works at OK4WD and says the ARB is the best seller. They have some nice options available and this tent will only set you back about $1500.

Even if you get yourself a nice Wilderness Rack (mounts to factory tracks), youll still be in the ballpark of $2000 or less for both. Then you can add your lights, tools, and airkit all under $3K

arb_simpson2_4.jpg

wn_lr1.jpg
wn_lr4.jpg
wn_lr3.jpg

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that Wilderness Rack an ARB item too? Looks nice. Wish it mounted a little closer or directly on the rails like the Brownchurch though. But the sloped front and V bars are a nice look.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roof tents are very popular among the LR3 crowd. Here's a few of the better shots I've collected from around the web.
LR3_RoofTent_ARB.jpg

LR3_RoofTent_ARB-Rear.jpg

LR3-overland-rooftent.jpg

LR3-RoofTent-Aussie2.jpg

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some sweet looking rides there Boaz. What a nicely executed idea...

Anyone slept in one of these? Aside from having a level surface and being harder for the bears to reach, what are the benefits?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just another way to spend a lot of money I think. I seriously doubt 90% of the rover owners 'need' them, they are just cool.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
----

Last edited:

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roof tents usually have built-in foam mattresses in the base, so they're extra comfy. But I agree with roverman, coolness is the main reason to have one of these. The treehouse factor for big kids. :cool:

I'm still using a Sportz SUV tent that connects to the back of the LR3. Although I don't actually connect it as much as I thought I would. But it's a nice option to have.

napier_full_size.jpg

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that Wilderness Rack an ARB item too? Looks nice. Wish it mounted a little closer or directly on the rails like the Brownchurch though. But the sloped front and V bars are a nice look.

No, wilderness is made by Garvin Industries. I only paired them in the post because the shop I deal with sells both. And yes they do bolt directly to the factory tracks (no rack required) but it still sits off the tracks a few inches. This design is still better than most that require crossbars to mount. Best of all Wilderness is cheaper than almost all the others out there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72