LR3 trailer plug lights flicker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dryflyrod

Reaction score
i have an issue and I’m hoping for some help. I noticed both my trailer lights are flickering do I bought a four wire plug tester and plugged it into my Rover plug. On the tester both lights flicker so the issue is somewhere in the Rover not the trailer. Does anyone know what is the cause of this issue?

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they LEDs? Your test probably is. LEDs don’t draw enough power for the trailer light test circuit on the LR3 to work properly. So the lights will flash with every pulse the LR3 sends out to see if a trailer is connected.

Dryflyrod

Reaction score
I was thinking that might be the issue but didn’t know for sure. Do you know if there is a simple fix for this? I just did New LED lights on my trailer. I’d hate to have to replace them.

Thanks,
Dryflyrod

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are resistors that you can install in parallel with the brake lights. Most auto parts stores carry them.

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It didn’t work for me. I ordered that exact adapter.

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know
Did you find a solution that did work?
Manually wiring resistors in-line?
The resistors in parallel with the lights work to let the LR3 know the trailer is there but depending on the lights they may still flicker. I went a step further with making a relay circuit to isolate the test signal from the actual turn/brake lights. It requires 2 relays and two resistors. You wire a 12v line to the normally closed lead of the relay then to the lights. Then on the relay signal you wire the resistors. The resistors take the load of the test signal but don’t trigger the relay but when the brakes or turn signal is used the relay is trigrams the leds turn on or blink with the turn signal.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OR, just accept the slight flashing tail lights.
I had someone at the gas station ask me if that was a new safety feature like motorcycles have.

5crows

Reaction score
I had the same problem. Lights worked fine on my old boat trailer, but a new utility trailer flashed continuously but dimly. The lights all worked as expected and brighter then the continuous flash.

I treat it as a new improved safety feature!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV