LR3 with NO radio/CD volume

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSabah

Reaction score
I just got my '05 LR3 back from an out of town dealership (we broke down while traveling). We had a bad battery and a bad starter. Had both replaced and had the car delivered to me 200 miles away. When I got the car we found that there is no volume for the sound system. The system goes on and you see the radio stations or that the CD is changing or playing but there is no sound and when you turn the vol knob there is no indication of the vol level (usually it shows a vol number). I took it to the local dealership and they said that they tried a soft reset but it didn't work and the dealership where it was "fixed" is no help. I seem to recall that when the car was new we had a defective battery and a similar issue with the radio - which the dealer was able to correct - but this time they say we need a new radio...it was working when I took it in and I do NOT believe in coincidences like this.

Any ideas???
Thanks

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever there is trouble with audio, dealers always want to replace the head unit... Since they are not paying for it. :hmpf: It's like a dentist pulling a tooth because of a cavity. Before giving in, try a hard reboot. Turn off the engine and remove they key from the ignition, wait at least 2-3 minutes to allow all electronics to shut down in the proper sequence, then disconnect the ground lead from the battery. LR says to wait a minimum of 2 minutes, but just to be on the safe side give it a good 10-15 minutes, then reconnect the ground lead. You may lose some radio presets and audio EQ settings in the process, but if they replaced the battery chances are you have lost those settings anyway. If the reboot works, great. If it doesn't, I would still insist with the dealer that they try uploading the latest software into IHU, amp, etc. before replacing the radio.

Last edited:

JSabah

Reaction score
Odd thing is the battery was changed and all presets on the radio are still there (Homelink is also still set). BTW I checked the 3 or 4 fuses behind the glovebox and all were ok. There is a designation for R6 - is that a relay? could it have been damaged and if so how can I go about checking it? Will also try the hard reset. Thanx

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but your problem sounds software-related: Your fuses, relays, hardware are probably fine. Either a file in the infotainment system got corrupted due to your faulty battery/starter problem and the network now "freezes" upon start-up as a result, (just like a computer), or the whole system may just need a good old fashioned reset. There are a bunch of TSBs illustrating problems with our MOST infotainment system that sound a lot like yours, and very few of them call for hardware replacement.

JSabah

Reaction score
Tried a hard reset ie took the key out,5 minutes, disconnected the neg bat terminal, waited 10 min, reconected batery...NO LUCK (this time I did loose all my station settings)...now what ...take it to the dealer and have them reinstall software? Also how do I find the TSBs that relate to the sound system?
Thanks again, Josh

JSabah

Reaction score
Tried a hard reset ie disconnected the battery for 10 minutes (this time I did loose my presets)...no luck. Now what ? Take it to the dealership to have them reinstall software? Also where can I see the TSBs that relate to the sound system/Battery installation? Thanks again, Josh

JSabah

Reaction score
OK, tried a hard reset ie turned off the car and waited 5 min, disconnected the neg battery terminal, waited 10 min, reconnected battery, gave it a try...NO LUCK (and I did loose all my preset stations- no big deal)...now what? take it to the dealer for some type of software update/reinstallation? How do I go about finding the TSBs that have to do with the sound system/battery installation? Thanks, Josh

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same thing they dud an update on the radio. works fine now

motz

Reaction score
having the same prob;lem. i always have to take the fuse out and put it back again.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was an infotainment software update available for 2005 LR3's. Specifically, it fixed an issue with the CD player remaining "on" even if it wasn't playing through the speaker system. This was a particular issue on the HSE with rear sound controls.

I do not recall a specific TSB for this, but dealers would provide the update if you had the complaint. That may be a way for you to get the software reflashed, and at least validate if this is a software issue.

Also, do you have the redundant steering wheel controls for volume? If so, did you try that? If not, the replacement is plug-and-play and can be easily added to your existing wheel.

However, I would start with the infotainment software update if available. Are you out of warranty? If you are just beyond the warranty period, ask for a courtesy (a.k.a customer relations?) warranty repair to have it covered.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut