LR4 2015 - replacing front brake sensor cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hiker

Reaction score
Hi there,

Replaced the brake pads and tried to install new sensor wire - removed the wheel arch liner, but on this model the cable seems to terminate inside the engine bay.
Have downloaded Bodsys Brake Bible - (LR4 up to 2012) where it shows terminating in connector box behind arch lining.

Does anyone know where it terminates (preferably from first hand experience)

thanks

Kabooom2199

Reaction score
My 2010 ends just in in the arch of the wheel well. You have to open up the black plastic wheel well just enough to get the connecting plug. It's not simple but it's there. Good luck.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, if you are changing your pads before the sensor went off, you can just re-use the existing sensor.

hiker

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses - much appreciated! I changed the pads because the sensor light came on, but in reality the pads were still about 60% good! I cleaned and replaced the sensor but a couple of days later the light returned and has stayed on - so removed the wheel arch lining but cannot see the terminator. Have heard 'on the grapevine' that the last 2 years of the model (2014 - 2016) have a different terminator arrangement - possibly in the battery / fuse bay.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. Either reuse the sensor or possibly splice the new one onto the old?

buzzracer

Reaction score
Not plugged in to fuse bay. It is however plugged in at the very top of the wheel arch under the liner which is a real pain to clear enough to get to plug. Ask me how! The rear one is just as much of a PITA as it's located above diff. Also, I would not splice these as you may not get good continuity.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spliced properly there would no issue. Getting behind the liner can be a pain but not too difficult, have a couple extra liner clips as they may disintegrate on you. Really the whole sensor thing is a nice to have option but not essential. Check your pads through the wheel once in a while and you don't need a sensor. I bypassed my old LR3 ones and never looked back. Spent saved money on good beer.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just changed front rotors, pads and sensor this weekend on my 2015. Thought I'd post the pic of the sensor connector that is behind the plastic fender liner. Removing the two closest liner clips, then pulling the liner down, I was able to sneak in there to cut sensor wires. I was then able to disengage the connector and reconnect the new sensor. I was forced to cut the wire as I could not separate the connector from its anchor point, frustrating to say the least, not hard just very awkward positioning. I didn't want to compromise the remaining wires in the loom by continuing to pull as hard as I was. Too much at stake.
IMG_7566.JPG
fullsizeoutput_34c5.jpeg

cergos

Reaction score
I ended up cutting mine and terminating - shorting it out - so now I have no brake sensors on my 2016 LR4. I rotate the wheels every 10,000 kms (5,000 miles) and do a visual check of the brakes etc. Visual has worked for me for 40+ years and don't need a sensor to do it for me. These 'cool gadgets' are good for owners living in close proximity to a LR dealer or LR workshop - not in rural Australia - we like 'function over form'

Note - checked first with LR to clarify that sensors do not form part of the warranty!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV