Lr4 5.0 HSE only normal height available

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yang Li

Reaction score
Hi guys, got problem with air struts of my lr4 , after several minutes I start my car the center console will throw a message saying “only normal height available “. And the height control button light will be off. However, if I raise my car to off road height and then lower it to normal height right after engine started, it will be fine for a couple of days Without throwing the “ only height available “. I m wondering if it’s the problem with compressor , if there anyone have same issue? I’ve read through those posts related to “ only normal height available “ but can not find right answers

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have an IID tool? if yes, scan and report the codes here.

and

do you notice any ride height visual problems? does the car lower significantly when sitting overnight?
does the compressor run for a long amount of time when adjusting the height? it should only run for 1-2 minutes. you can hear it if you stand outside the car, on the left side.

Yang Li

Reaction score
Hi DaytonaRS7, thanks for your reply, unfortunately I got no scan tool in hand, I got no visual problem with the ride height, and I did hear the compressor working hard with noise before the “ only normal height available “ message pop up. However if I try to adjust the height right after engine start, it sometimes raise the height to off road level pretty slowly, sometimes it raise it up pretty quickly just like normal, and the interesting things is, once I tried to jack it up right after engine start, the entire air strut system will be working fine for a couple of days, until 3 or 4 days later , when I start the car, after several minutes , the “only normal height available “ message will show again, and during the several minutes , i can hear the compressor working hard loudly, I found this so weird, I better get a scan tool to conduct a troubleshoot

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 LR4 had those messages starting at 80k miles. I drove it till it got to 95k and I could tell the ride was a lot softer and then finally bit the bullet on a new compressor.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google shows compressors ranging from $300-850.

I think its a rather easy DIY replacement, but you will need and IID tool.

John Robison

Reaction score
While you can buy a compressor and change it at home, you are likely to need a scan tool that can update the software and test and reset the system. My first stop would be somewhere with those abilities, before buying any parts. Right now you are just guessing

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to own a Land Rover and need to do it on a budget, your first step is to get an IID Tool.

Yes, it's a shade under $500, but it will save you lots of money in the long run. Use that tool to read the fault codes and see what it tells you.

That said, if you want to go the cheapest route possible and hope that you are lucky, the strongest probability is that it's your suspension compressor. You can pull your existing one and have a look at it to see what kind it is (Hitachi or AMK), then just replace with a new compressor of whatever brand it is you already have. That will save you having to reprogram your ECU.

At 110k miles, you're probably due for your compressor to go anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi