LR4 Accident

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly i have to be the first to report on the LR4 in an accident.

Scene: Saturday aftternoon, beautiful sunny day. Driving daughter to JFK airport in NY from NJ. Driving up the Verranzano bridge and got in left hand lane to go onto the Belt pkwy. Traffic backed up for about a mile. We were at a standstill when we were hit from behind by 2 cars. I say 2 because there was only one very large impact and there were 2 vehicles behind us. Thankfully we were both wearing seatbelts(i never did before getting the rover) becuase we wouldnt be here today. I was pretty dazed for a few minutes, just trying to gather myself and make sure my girl was ok. i must say, it scared the crap out of me becuase we didnt see it coming and didnt hear anything. Just the hit.

I also hit the guy in front of me which i didnt realize.(love tap at best) He got out of his car and was checking on people. I finally got out of the rover and was quite afraid to look at the damage.....but then i saw the other 2 cars. Lady in the middle car was seriously injured as her car(im not even sure what kind it was) was pretty much lodged under mine and looked like an accordion(SP). The 4th car was a mini van which had a totally demolished front end. Him and 3 little kids in the car seemed ok but did leave in the ambulance.

My daughter and i have sore necks/backs but are thankful we were sitting in a truck that absorbed a tremendous hit and still drove away, albeit 2 hrs later. It might be crappy on MPG, but that 6000lb full frame vehicle saved our lives, that i'm sure of. i will not ever complain again-)

Rover damage: It goes into shop this week so, if there is any structural damage, i dont know about it yet. Seems to drive fine. Rear bumper and panel on rail gate shot. Tailgate itself is fine. Driver side rear qtr panel is out of place and i believe the exhaust on that side has been damaged. Sounds a bit loud. Obviously sensors in bumper are shot....they work, but dont shut off...lol. Front bumper, license plate bracket broken and a little scratching.

Considering what the other2 vehicles looked like, I find it amazing that the rover took the hit it did and at least let us drive away. It just doesn t look like it was in a serious crash, and it was.

As one of NY's finest put it, the other 2 cars were driving approx 40mph and ran into a tank that stopped both of them.

Will report back when i find out more. For anyone who was using the bridge sat afteroon, that was one huge traffic jam on both sides. 6 firetrucks, 5 police cars, 4 ambulances....it was like a scene out of a movie. Hopefully the rest of the people are ok.

john 3k damage on initial look by adjuster.

Last edited:

DennisL

Reaction score
John,

Glad to here you & daughter are well!

When we were in Rovers before, the dealer showed us pictures of crashed vehicles. Very impressive with their walkaways. I didn't notice them this time. You might want to mention it to them.

Take care,
Dennis

nolift911

Reaction score
Glad you are ok - check your door gaps and make sure they all fit like they used to and also check the roofline for bulges.

I guess it depends on how hard you were hit - me same situation but in a 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee - did its job - which is a uni-body.

4 car accident - I was hit first by a Passat by some idiot hitting the gas instead of the brake at 50+ mph. Hit me, I hit a mini-van (caved the whole back in with my front) and the minivan hit a jag. 3 vehicle totalled.

Mine did not look bad at all - but on closer inspection all for doors were "popped" roof line crease. Totaled for 26k.

Anyway I walked away the the unibody did its job - hit me so hard my tied shoes flew off...

Anyway accidents suck - you need to go after them for diminished value - if you ever go to trade that it is was in a major accident and some places won't even take a trade like that -

-Jeff

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you guys are O.K. I wonder if you can get a drepreciation payment from the other persons insurance co? Your brand new truck is now worth alot less through no fault of your own.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you and daughter are OK. We've taken that same trip to JFK many times.

Our LR3 took a similar rear hit from a pickup truck last year. Needless to say, the pickup lost and the LR had just some cosmetics and a bent exhaust.

The LR3/LR4 certainly is your friend in these situations.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi