LR4 Brake Pads: Aftermarket Alternative?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buybrakes

Reaction score
I received the message below from fellow LRW member crewcabrob regarding LR4 Brake Pads

Hello,

I couldn't help but notice your signature and sure hope that you can help me out.

I have been trying to find replacement pads for my 2010 LR4. The brake dust is killing me and there are a few people that are reporting very short pad life; some as little as 9 months of driving.

My driving will most likely lead to new pads some where between 24-36 months based on other vehicles I have owned over the years. Most of them I get 50,000+ miles out of, but with the heft of the LR4 I'm trying to be more realistic in my expectations.

I have reached out to a few of the pad manufactures but nobody has an aftermarket alternative to the OEM pads. I'm specifically looking for a low dust compound. Since the brakes changed from the LR3 to the LR4, nobody I have contacted has them. I'm not even sure if anyone is activly working on them.

Any help would be apprciated. I have reached out on multiple occasions on the forums to see if anyone has head of information on the product. You may be my best lead yet!

Thank you for your time,

Rob

buybrakes

Reaction score
In response to Rob's PM question, I put phone calls and/or emails into 3 of our brake pad manufacturer/suppliers regarding the LR4 aftermarket brake pads: Centric, Hawk and Axxis.

I found out the pad shape is FMSI #D1425 and the backing plates have yet to me made available by the usual plate manufacturers that supply many of the top companies. The general feedback is it will be about 10 to 12 months before any start production on the backing plates and then the aftermarket companies can begin to purchase them to add their compounds to them.

To speed up production date, they would need us/someone to commit to buying 300 units and putting them in stock. Like all manufacturers, they put their attention to where the sales action is. All 3 of those top manufacturers have different compounds and market niches they go for so it would be interesting to see what most LR4 owners want in terms of friction compounds.

My favorites are the Centric 309 (high performance) and 106 (extreme duty & daily driver) compounds, Axxis ULT Ceramic Compound (clean and high performance) and the Hawk HPS brake pads (also clean and high performance).

Anyway, that's the inside scoop from some of the big players in the high performance brake friction part of the world. What do members of this forum think would be the best and most popular brake pad friction for the new LandRover LR4?

MMC2488

Reaction score
Not to scare you. We had an 08' LR3 which needed pads and rotors all four corners at 22K. My wife drove the car the majority of the time so I chalked it up to her riding the brakes. We traded the LR3 for an LR4 10' which now has 18K on it and guess what? Pads are down to 30%. And the rotors look like they are finished as well. Now we have a LR4 10' and 11'. I will let you know how the 11' fairs. It's got 5K on it now. The first time I drove it I noticed how squishy the 10's brakes felt. So, needless to say, after berating my wife about riding the brakes I had to apologize profusely. Seems that we can't get more than 22K out of the pads and rotors.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for looking into the brake pads for us. I have seen quite a few people burning through brakes on the forums with thier LR4's. I only have 8200 miles on mine, but I want to replace the pads long before I really need to.

I have no idea what compounds/friction level would be for the LR4. All I know is I want rid of the brake dust and they have to last longer than 30k miles.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey RoverGuru,

You can get aftermarket pads but LR won't warranty the job and/or the rotors if you get more heat/wear and tear/etc. from aftermarket brakes. There are a lot of pads out there that eliminate the dust, but they also have a lot of side-effects. And I'm sure you know, as well as other members, that the brake dust is a good thing, i.e., monster brakes create mega-dust... see BMWs for example. Yes, it's annoying, but only high-powered, quality brakes cause brake dust. You won't see them in non-EU cars mostly because their brakes are inferior (cheap.) Anyway, good luck with your quest and just keep in mind, non-OEM dust-free pads may lead to all sorts of other issues down the road, like warped rotors etc.

buybrakes

Reaction score
2010 2011 LR4 Brake Rotor Options

Sounds like many LR4 owners are struggling with the limited life of the OEM LandRover rotors. A few alternatives have just been made available.

My highest recommendation goes to the Premium Cryo treated rotors. As many of you know, brake rotors (and other metal items) that go through a Cryogenic treating process actually gain in tensile strength and abrasive wear resistance resulting in brake rotor longevity. The actual atomic structure of a brake rotor changes as it goes through its 60-hour cycle by gradually getting the rotors down to 300 degrees below zero. The typical result is a doubling of rotor life and sometimes triple. Leadtime for ordering rotors going through the cryo process is 2 to 3 weeks.

Common feedback from customers posted in online forums are comments like "my brakes don't fade, don't warp and last two to four times longer. BuyBrakes.com's faith in the cryo rotors is high so we warranty them for 2 years or 48,000 miles.

Our biggest customers for the Cryo rotors are the "fleet" commercial customers that run Ford F250 Super Duty trucks or the "pursuit" vehicles like the Ford Crown Vics. They tend to like them because warping becomes a non-issue and they'll save install labor 3 times over an OEM replacement set. I don't think the OEMs warranty their rotors, but perhaps BMW and a select few others might on new vehicles.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14893133/LR4FrontRotor.png

The LR4 stock front rotors are huge at 360mm diameter and 29.99mm thick. They are heavy too at 26.45 pounds.

Here is what I've been able to find out on cost for our replacement LR4 rotors in the various styles that are available:
120-22009 Plain Premium Replacement Rotor Front $108.00 ea.
120-22010 Plain Premium Replacement Rotor Rear $94.00 ea.
127-22009 L&R Premium Slotted & Drilled $214.00 ea.
120-22009cry Premium Cryo treated Front rotors $142.00 ea (best overall choice and value)
120-22010cry Premium Cryo treated Rear Rotors $122.00 ea (best overall choice and value)
127-22009cry L&R Premium Slotted & Drilled Cryo treated Front Rotors $259.ea (choose when running oversize wheels)
The rear rotor pricing seems to be about $10 to $15 each less per rotor for each style.

Hope that helps, PM me for any further help, pricing or advice I can provide or email me if that's easier.

psc

Reaction score
Not sure if it is the same with the LR4 - but the Discovery 4 is equipped with two differnt rear caliper assemblies depending on build dates. The alloy version and the cast iron version (which is now current)

The brake pads are different between the two different assemblies

buybrakes

Reaction score
374.jpg

This is an update on an older thread regarding Landrover LR3 and LR4 best Brake Pad question for those keen on a low-dust solution: Hawk Brake Pads and specifically this Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads link allows you to put in your year version of Landrover. The Hawk ceramic pads will certainly give you lower dust, but they will not bite as hard as the Hawk LTS brake pads.

Vehicle Fitment includes:

Hawk Performance PC Brake Pads - Front Set - HB684Z.694 Fits These Vehicles
  • Land Rover LR4 2010-2015
  • Land Rover Range Rover 2013-2015
  • Land Rover Range Rover 2012 HSE
  • Land Rover Range Rover 2012 HSE Lux
  • Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2015
  • Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2011 Autobiography
  • Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2011 GT Limited Edition
  • Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2010-2012 HSE
Hawk Performance PC Brake Pads - Rear Set - HB682Z.657 Fits These Vehicles

• Land Rover LR3 2005-2008
  • Land Rover LR3 2009 HSE
  • Land Rover LR4 2010-2015
  • Land Rover Range Rover 2006-2011 HSE
  • Land Rover Range Rover 2007-2011 Supercharged
  • Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2011 GT Limited Edition
  • Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2010-2013 HSE
  • Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2008 LE
  • Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2006-2013 Supercharged

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the problem with many pads. Long life and reduced bite and feel. Rotors I am finally happy after finding made in Germany Zimmerman. Pads currently Fedoro

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut