LR4 Brakes and Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
Sorry, I've searched through the forums and I know this has been discussed, but after sifting through the old posts I'm still unclear.

2016 LR4, 30k miles.

Need brakes.

Local Independent shop wants $1450 all in for front OEM pads and rotors.

Local Firestone is $1000 all in for"Ceramic Gold" brand.

Dealer is well over $2k.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s crazy town. Upgraded ebc front pad and drilled rotors are less than $500. And it should be maybe an hour or two max to install. So maybe 6-700$ max.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I just got new slotted Stoptech coated rotors and their pads x 4 for an Audi S4 avant for maybe $500 in parts. Do you have ANY interest in DIY? I used to do nothing at all on vehicles but the brakes were no where near as hard as I'd assumed for years.

I don't know *** "ceramic gold" brand is but if you shop around, you can get something that is quality but also won't dump rust and brake dust on your wheels non-stop.

So far very pleased with the EBC slotted set and green pads from Rovers North.

Jazzy

Reaction score
Although I haven't changed my rotors, I did replace the front brake calipers and brake pads on my 2012 LR4 a few months back and it was extremely simple...and that was my first time.

Chris Fix has an in depth video of how to change brakes and rotors. I even used his video to make a brake bleeder with a soda bottle and some clear plastic hosing from hardware store.

I've been purchasing LR parts at the discount-based Rock Auto for years with great results, and I off-road monthly. Brakes were no different as I purchased 2 sets of front Brembo brake pads from Rock Auto for a combined total of $55...just a thought.

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been buying EBC rotors and pads (usually greenstuff) from Atlantic British for probably a decade now. Been pleased. If it's front only, as @Fuji4 said, you shouldn't be getting hit for more than $100-200 in labor.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought OEM rotors, pads, and sensors form Atlantic British about 3 years ago for $700-800. Any competent mechanic should not need more than 2 hours. Maybe 3 hours tops. I can see a quality independent mechanic charging maybe $500 in labor for all four corners, but it should not be more than that.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goodle Bodsy's Brake Bible.

It covers just about all aspects of brake work on the LR3 (which is virtually identical in this respect to the LR4).

With that in hand, there is absolutely no reason to be bent over a barrel on brakes on these trucks, unless you are just completely averse to doing your own work.

If you are nice Bodsy might stick his head in here. He pop's up in the forum from time to time.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goodle Bodsy's Brake Bible.

It covers just about all aspects of brake work on the LR3 (which is virtually identical in this respect to the LR4).

With that in hand, there is absolutely no reason to be bent over a barrel on brakes on these trucks, unless you are just completely averse to doing your own work.

If you are nice Bodsy might stick his head in here. He pop's up in the forum from time to time.

Agreed. Brakes and fluid changes are the easiest way to save money on your vehicle and huge money makers for mechanics and dealers.

That said, I know many people who would be best served not touching their cars at all!

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A month ago, I DYIed my brakes. I got new front rotors, new front pads, two new sensors and rear pads. The rear rotors were still good. My total OTD price was $219(with tax and shipping). I am happy with the results. Cost breakdown is below. Parts all came from rockauto.

BREMBO P44022N Brake Pad $ 37.89 x 1 $37.89
PAGID 355122922 Rotor $ 57.79 x 2 $115.58
PAGID 355251341 Brake Pad Wear Sensor $8.09 x 1 $8.09
PAGID 355251331 Brake Pad Wear Sensor $8.13 x 1 $8.13
POWER STOP 171099 (17-1099) Brake Pad $22.89 x 1 $22.89

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut