LR4 Clicking Noise from Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fernando

Reaction score
Hey guys. Been searching the forums for something similar to my problem but just couldn't find anything so here goes.

I was switching out the air filters in my 2011 LR4 and as I started her up I started to hear this clicking noise. (It may have been happening before but its tough to hear from inside the truck) It sounds like if you were to take a wrench and tap it against a tin can.

Its not rythmic

I tried to test if it was the AC. It seemed to start when I turned the AC on but didn't go away when I turned it off. (will keep testing variations of that)

I live in the north east so temp right now is between 30 to 40 daily.

Sounds like its coming from the timing belt area. Maybe even specific to the lower part of the engine.

Goes away in about 10 to 15 min. Presumably when the truck heats up a bit.

Heres the sound on youtube for reference.

Any ideas? Thanks!

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got the same sound today on my '12. Car got towed to dealership... we're spending the weekend in Quebec...
Gap Tool shows crankshaft sensor error P0018. Can be anything from nothing to chain tensioner... we'll see. Hopefully we get to go back home. Gotta work on Tuesday.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fernando, the clicking sound could very easily be heard in the video you posted. I'd immediately have it looked at a dealership or your trusted auto shop for at least diagnoses.

Fernando

Reaction score
Thanks Mano. I was hoping someone had a similar problem in the past so I can go in with at least a little bit of knowledge, but it seems like its a unique problem. Fingers crossed.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a very common sound from the 5.0 JLR engine.
When mine started i had two different dealerships look at it.
Both said the same thing, HP Fuel Pump Cam followers.
The HP fules pumps sit on the lower right side of the engine block towards the front.
Depending on where you are listening from it can sound like it is coming from the front timing cover.
Not much can be done by tht edealer unless a code for the HP fuel pump is present (JLR will not let them warranty it without a present fault).
This become more pronounced in higher mileage engines (50K+)

Hope this helps.

Fernando

Reaction score
Thanks @jaguardoc504 for the info! Is it something I should be worried about and try to get fixed as quickly as possible? The sound is really odd. I can have a non dealer mechanic look at it. Land Rover specific of course.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @jaguardoc504 for the info! Is it something I should be worried about and try to get fixed as quickly as possible? The sound is really odd. I can have a non dealer mechanic look at it. Land Rover specific of course.

I've had mine for over 50K, no noticeable increase in sound (it is pretty loud though), or other issue noticed during.
Sometime it's not their at all. I do notice it more in colder temps, and at first startup after it's been sitting for a few days.

It's up to you. If you want some piece of mind, get it checked out. I am only speaking from my perspective. You could have something different, but the sound is very distinct.

Fernando

Reaction score
@jaguardoc504 I probably will this week. We've been thinking it could be something related to oil as well. Before I left for the holidays I had gotten an oil change and unfortunately had to leave the car parked for about 2 weeks the day after I got it. Parking is tough in Boston so my parking spot is on an hill. (I usually park uphill). I called the mechanic I got the oil change from and he said he used a 5W-30 Fuchs full synthetic oil. After some searching around I'm seeing most LR4s '10 to '12 are going for the 5W-20.

All this to say, everything combined...Cold weather,parking uphill, leaving the car for 2 weeks and a thicker oil may be causing the truck to have difficulty circulating oil upon start up. May do another oil change to the 5W-20.

I feel like this is an episode of CSI.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know what you find out. Mines makes the exact same noise as yours. I use 5w20, and 5w10 respectively on a flat driveway, in the foothills of Maine (Lewiston) I would be surprised if it was oil related. But you never know.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

aakempvt

Reaction score
Just had the exact same noise. 2012, 10 degrees, flat driveway, sitting for 12 hours. I've heard it before but it wasn't as noticeable. Had a dealer oil change 2 months ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV