Lr4 coolant bleed valve screw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While driving my car today I hot a low coolant light and immdiatly pulled over. Coolant everywhere.

I recently(2 year/15k miles ago) replaced my crossover pipes, so no worries there.

Had the car towed home and a quick inspection leads me to a missing bleeder valve on the front crossover pipe. I found the valve cap in the engine bay, but can't find the retainer ring. No big deal. I can just replace the bleed cap assembly and refill with coolant.

But I'm more concerned of why this may happen out of nowhere? Any insight?

Incase it makes a differnece, temps today were around 5 degrees f.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow…that’s concerning. Never heard of that happening, and no idea what would cause it, but I’m thinking about wrapping a piece of that silicone self-fusing tape (rescue tape or the like) around the front crossover to hold that cap in tight.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for full disclosure, I did work on the car recently, but nothing that should have affected the bleeder. Only thing is maybe I was a little rough putting the intake back onto the throttle body and nudged the valve? Nothing particular I remember. But this was the only step that was remotely close to the bleeder.

But I drove the car about 75 miles after repairs before this happened. I'd thinking I broke it during reassembly, it would have been an instant failure.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the bleed screw intact or did it fall apart?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes. I had the other bleed screw (near the battery) essentially disintegrate when I tried to crack it. I just JB weld'd the heck out of it.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe silly question, but the front crossover part does not come with a new bleed screw. Any chance you re-used the old one?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe silly question, but the front crossover part does not come with a new bleed screw. Any chance you re-used the old one?
I honestly can't remember. If I did, it's been on there for nearly 2 years. Seems kind of random for it to pop off

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But they degrade too like the pipe itself. Maybe you reused it and it got brittle and came apart? I have heard of catastrophic coolant loss being due to the bleed screw self-detonating, as opposed to the pipe failing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut