LR4 DTE gas warning vs. LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google tells me that the LR3 and the LR4 both have a 22.8 gallon tank.
Both displays have a low tank warning and a DTE display that lets me know when to fill up...

...here's the question, has anyone else noticed that the LR4 seems to sound the alarm a lot earlier than the LR3 did? And the DTE seems to build in more of a buffer for the driver.

I don't routinely run my tank down (I know some say it's best not to as over the years sediment develops in the bottom of your tank) but it happens often enough that I notice. On my LR3, which I drove for 12 years, I'd put 20 gallons of gas in the tank when I drove in close to empty. Maybe 20.5 was the most I put in at a time.

With the LR4, when I roll into the gas station thinking how lucky I am to have found one, I fill up with 18.9 gallons. I don't think I've ever put over 19 gallons in the tank.

Now, the last couple times I noticed this I had about 30 miles on the DTE empty, and I realize that's about 2 gallons of gas with the driving around town average... which means the tank only really has a 1.8 gallon buffer.

Obviously, this is just a Tuesday morning topic to distract me from work. Not critical. :)
Wondering if anyone else has noticed a discrepancy between the LR3 and LR4 in this regard?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realized after I posted this that this is really similar to a thread @Frank8 just posted. Sorry about that. Have been meaning to ask this and just happened to spew it out today...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took this today before and after fillup.

Seems on my truck, it only figures in a 20 gallon tank. Maybe that last 2.8 gallons is the designed in reserve?

2v2u8EDprxvn42L.png

That's my guess since the 22 DTE is approximately the distance you could go with the 1.2 gallons left in the tank (if you assumed a 20 gallon tank). Okay... somebody is going to do the math so I might as well. 290/20 = 14.5 mpg. Yup, that's a fair around town estimate for my LR4 to make.

So, in theory, I could go another 40 miles before coming up truly empty. Good to know.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut