LR4 Error Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsteen

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and have just begun the search for an LR4. I have located a nice 2011 with 105,000 miles. The owner has provide a diagnostic and there are a few codes. I was hoping someone could tell me if any of them are something to be worried about, I know the p0018-00 is definitely a concern but am not sure how much. The vehicle has good service records but hasn't had any major work done except the following. Other than normal maintenance not much else had been done, but it has been serviced regularly. The owner said the shop told him the engine sounded fine and he wasn't worried about the timing chain yet but knew it was an issue. Looking for an advice concerning these issues.
  • Intake manifold gasket(s) replaced
  • Antifreeze/coolant checked
  • Thermostat replaced
  • Oil cooler seal(s) replaced
  • Lower radiator hose replaced
  • Water pump replaced
  • Drive belt(s) replaced
  • Air filter replaced
upload_2021-1-14_6-34-15.png

upload_2021-1-14_6-35-12.png

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude... that is a lot of codes. Looks like a cascading LIN or canbus issue causing the majority of the codes. The P0018 could be bad sensors... Or, it could be skipped timing.

Unless you want a project vehicle, I would decline..

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Michael Gain regarding the number of codes on this “nice” LR4. At the very least get a qualified LR mechanic to do a prepurchase inspection. Even then I personally would feel like I was probably throwing good money after bad. This is tough advice but try not to fall in love with any particular LR4 too quickly as you continue your search.

rsteen

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I am trying to be patient. I did dig in a little on this one and is has a good service record. It was just inspected by a reputable shop and everything seemed to be in order. The only the they mentioned that was needed was to keep an eye on the chain guides because they will need done. As far as the codes they just said those codes were mostly just glitches that can occur at startup? All the system and everything on the vehicle works as expected. Is there a price this makes sense at? Sometime I think it would be better to by right and then deal with what is needed. Let me know if you think that is a bad approach.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you want a project vehicle, I would decline..

Ok, I'll be the Jwest in this situation.

I stand by what I said. You do not want this LR4.

Like @cperez said... and I'll embellish...don't fall in love with this thing. You have no idea what is causing the codes, and neither does the "reputable" shop.

The LR4 does a self check at start up (like most cars). If the codes do not go away pretty quickly, they are not Just "glitches at startup".

The shop also told you to keep an eye on the chain guides. A) they acknowledge something is wrong, B) you can't see them to inspect C) you'll know they are bad when you timing chain starts to slap inside of the time cover channel.

Did they even address the P0018 code?

Price: subtract the inspection cost of a land rover trained mechanic (Indy or dealer) and the price for a timing chain replacement ($2000 in parts, and let's estimate $2700 in labor= $4700) from the asking price to start. After said inspection, subtract the cost of everything else wrong with it from the asking price.

What we are trying to tell you, @cperez more politely than I, is that this particular LR4 is a bad purchase. If it is the only one in your price range, I hope that you know that land rover maintenance is not cheap---even if you do the labor yourself.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is the only one in your price range
If this is the case, I'd go for a well maintained LR3!

They are also just as capable, and still pretty nice cars. I enjoyed driving my friends LR3 a lot, which led me to my LR4.

LR4 as a project car may be a mistake.

rsteen

Reaction score
Thanks for being blunt, I will keep looking. I understand the ownership costs and I am ok with it. I will just have to be patient. Pretty sure I want to stick to the LR4 though I have considered the LR3 also.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for being blunt, I will keep looking. I understand the ownership costs and I am ok with it. I will just have to be patient. Pretty sure I want to stick to the LR4 though I have considered the LR3 also.
So as far as the codes go, the one that scares me is the camshaft position correlation code.

Although I will say, I got the same exact code on my car, cleared it, and it hasn't come back in a month.

Looks like the cameras are having issues, probably blue screening (common issue)

Not sure what to think about the body control module codes.

Honestly take it to a rover mechanic for a pre buy and see what they say. Can't hurt your wallet that much.

If you can prove that the oil was changed every 7500 miles or so, and not every 15,000 then the chain might be okay.

rsteen

Reaction score
Oil changes are fairly frequent usually less than 15,000. Honestly I haven’t seen many LR4’s in my search that have had the chain guides done. I know it is a common issue and would think I would see more that have already had it done.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as if what the others have said isnt enough, run away from that car.

as far as the maintenance that was done....the intake manifold gaskets changed, but they didnt replace the coolant crossover pipes? waste of time.

for the codes, ***. you could be chasing down wiring issues or module replacement. you'll either be spending tons of time (money) on labor finding wiring issues. Or you will be spending a fortune on modules and coding.
god forbid you have shop solve the problems, then youll get screwed on labor and parts.

your (over)due for a water pump. typical life is 60-70k.

"regular" oil change service on LR schedule is not often enough. so technically, it was under-serviced.

Diffs and transfer case should be serviced at 100k.

transmission really should have the filter and fluid changed at 100k. not sure if this is part of the LR maintenance schedule, but ZF (trans manufacturer) says 100k.

im sure the suspension will be needing a refresh soon. maybe shocks, control arms, or both. just becuase its not obviously broken, it is worn after 100k miles. replacing these parts preventativly will be cheaper then waiting.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72