Lr4 frame sliders / sill plate / steel bumpers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TON28

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just purchased my first LR4 (2011) and hoping for a little guidance on preferred frame step sliders / sill plate / fender protection and over size tires?

also was hoping to add a bit of additional lift (a la old man emu) but wondering if advisable or would such interventions be in conflict with the native air suspension?

Thank you kindly in advance!

Thaddeus

CHRIS APALLAS

Reaction score
Hey Thaddeus. Congrats on the 4. I'm also close to picking up my own so I've been researching here a ton. There are a handful of threads so just search around and you'll find em. Lucky 8 and Tactical 4x4 seem pretty popular. As for tires, I'll be following the herd with 265/65/18s. As for lift, get the GAP IID tool and just do an electronic lift. Keep you air suspension!

TON28

Reaction score
Thanks, Chris. And good luck in your search as well. Have to say I’m pretty chuffed with her so far. Feels good to have some v8 beastlyness under the pedal again. Noted on lucky 8 and tactical saw a lot of that floating around.

As for tires why does that set up seem to be the preference you think? What about the bfg ko2s?

Also Johnson rod lift kits seem to be pretty popular too and maintain the air suspension as well. Have you seen those? Any comparisons?

Anyway good luck finding your rig my friend!

Thad

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way to lift her is with the lucky 8 SYA kit. It comes with strut spacers and shortened rods to ensure the airbag pressure feels like stock. You also get the benefit of a 2.5 inch lift.

TON28

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

thanks for that reco. So that kit preserves the feel of the air suspension ? Better you think than Johnson rod kit which also gives 2.5 inch lift or the GAP IID tool?
Thanks !!

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Michael,

thanks for that reco. So that kit preserves the feel of the air suspension ? Better you think than Johnson rod kit which also gives 2.5 inch lift or the GAP IID tool?
Thanks !!

Absolutely better. Rods and gap tool just add air. The ride will harshen slightly. I loved my SYA kit.

Now, a word of caution. You give and you take. The SYA kit adds 2.5 inches (and prevents oversize tires from lodging in the wheel wells) BUT you lose that 2.5 inches in downward travel. Don't get me wrong.. it's still there (if you don't install the limit straps) but you risk over articulating the cv joints.

TON28

Reaction score
Cheers for the clarifications. Don’t fully understand the technically meaningful difference between these three options. Will have to deepen my research evidently! Thanks

Mart

Reaction score
Thaddeus.

I've had my Discovery 4 (2011) for a couple of years now. I had rock and tree sliders fitted. They provide far more protection and won't rot like the side steps do. I got mine from Terrafirma. I also had a swing away spare wheel carrier from them. Once fitted it's easy to remove so the added weight won't affect fuel use when you use the car locally.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed the Terrafirma rock sliders yesterday. Per (I think) Michael Gain's prior post, they did require some modification to the inboard edge in order to clear some lines on both sides. So get out your metal cutting equipment. Time will tell, but they do seem to be beefy enough to withstand most hard bumps.

TON28

Reaction score
Mart and greiswig thank you very much. Terrafirma it is then. I’ve seen their product and it looks well made and your consensus helps. Cheers !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV