LR4 front pad change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sceh

Reaction score
A simple enough job it seems but do I remove the caliper or just swing it downwards on the lower bolt?

thanks

sceh

Reaction score

My dumb question. Here is the video on how to do it

sceh

Reaction score
Now here is another question.
I set the suspension low and lock it low apparent.
If you use the indicated jacking point on the chassis well behind the front wheel you still have to jack it up a lot. Is there a better jacking point especially using a pneumatic bottle jack?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Good floor jack
2) you can swing or remove both. Service both caliper pins with good silicone brake lube.
3) pop the master cylinder lid and compress piston slowly back (after you give it a clean so no debris forced back behind seals.)

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that video, it didn't look like the best move to let the caliper dangle on the hoses without any kind of support. I've seen bungies and even coat hanger wire used to hang it and prevent strain on the hoses. Or even an upside down bucket to rest it on before reinstalling.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Don't forget to break in your pads with the manufactures bed in process.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that video, it didn't look like the best move to let the caliper dangle on the hoses without any kind of support. I've seen bungies and even coat hanger wire used to hang it and prevent strain on the hoses. Or even an upside down bucket to rest it on before reinstalling.

Yes.

And also, don't let your wife come in and rush you and make you forget to disconnect a perfectly good wear sensor that you end up damaging and then spend more time on that PITA job replacing it than you spent on the actual brake pad job.

Just sayin'.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes.

And also, don't let your wife come in and rush you and make you forget to disconnect a perfectly good wear sensor that you end up damaging and then spend more time on that PITA job replacing it than you spent on the actual brake pad job.

Just sayin'.

At that point strip wires, connect and tuck away. If you do much maintenance at all you will know when it is pad time without your dash lighting up.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. How on earth do you not know when your brakes are due? But I already had the new cable and I did not know what I was getting myself into.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV