LR4 Halogen Bulb Upgrading - Highly Recommended

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, the Philips halogen bulbs included (if you have halogen's not Xenon/HID) are a little weak IMO. I replaced the H11 low-beam and fogs with 55w H11 Philips Crystal Vision Ultras and the high-beams with 55w H7 Philips X-treme Power (they do not make this bulb for H11.)

The replacement was the best money I have ever spent!!! The road is so nicely lit, just amazing and so safe. The Crystal Vision Ultra bulbs are new from the EU (still very hard to get, see eBay), made in Germany of course, and have won a lot of awards. They are so bright (DOT approved) and beautiful that I cannot personally see the difference between these halogens and the Xenon/HIDs. It's as close as you'll get to HID without swapping out the lamps - and this was also noted by Philips.

And although Philips describes them as blue/white light, they are only blue/white from a beam perspective, not blue if you look at them from outside the truck, which is great, because they don't look cheesy like you see on modded Hondas running PIAA extreme white/blue-look. Also, the H7 high-beam X-tremes are nice, but a little yellow, but since they are high-beams, it's okay, as they all work together very nicely.

And another tid-bit, I read that the EU has banned the "blue/purple-Xenons" of yesterday because they have mercury in them and hard to dispose of, so if you notice, all new BMW for instance, there Xenons/HIDs are on the pure white light side, not that blue/purple look you once saw on the road that was so popular a few years ago. My wife's 2005 BMW has the purple-blue look, but my 2008 M3 HIDs were pure white.

Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend this upgrade.

Philips Crystal Vision Ultra - H11 (low beam and fogs) Part 12362 (the 12362 S2 are North American versions) and the 12362 are the European version. They run about $37 USD for a pair/ea.

http://www.lighting.philips.com/us_e...=0&id=&lang=en

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just installed the hid kits for the low beams and fog lights. love them. cheap as well.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just installed the hid kits for the low beams and fog lights. love them. cheap as well.

which kit specifically did you get........any tips on the install.......i currently have the factory hid low beams....

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Gregorio

Reaction score
I like the CV bulbs a lot and have them in most of my vehicles that can take them. Be ready to replace them often! I'm on my second set in my GM pickup in less than 2 years! The whiter light is not really noticable until you put one of the factory bulbs back in like I did. The factory bulb is so dim, it looks as if it is only 10v instead of 12v.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the CV bulbs a lot and have them in most of my vehicles that can take them. Be ready to replace them often! I'm on my second set in my GM pickup in less than 2 years! The whiter light is not really noticable until you put one of the factory bulbs back in like I did. The factory bulb is so dim, it looks as if it is only 10v instead of 12v.

Hey Gregorio!

The factory bulbs are extremely dim, I was quite surprised. They may do this to get people to bump up to the HIDs, naturally... good marketing when it comes to "best, better, good." I did post this on another LR forum and one of the members with HIDs, replaced his H11 fogs (which are crazy-dim) with CVs and was super happy with them. I dislike when the fogs don't match HIDs, that yellow just doesn't work. So for those of you with HIDs, replace those yellow H11 fogs with CVs or another brand if you prefer.

Anyway, the CV bulbs are pretty outstanding for the price - not HID all the way, but pretty damn close. And from a vision perspective, they're amazing and you can really see the road, nice white 4000K light.

I have read that replacements/life of these bulbs isn't that great, but I think that may be the trade-off of this technology.

I think I read that HIDs can last up to 5-years or so?

Last edited:

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some think that the yellow color of the fogs actually helps vision in real fog.....as it might be less reflective than light with a higher color temperature..............but i def agree the higher color temp is nice in non fog conditions

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some think that the yellow color of the fogs actually helps vision in real fog.....as it might be less reflective than light with a higher color temperature..............but i def agree the higher color temp is nice in non fog conditions

Totally, yellow is awesome for fog and snow. But the LR fogs are so dim they’re almost like DRL. I’ve read a lot of LR owners noting this.

I was actually thinking about replacing the H11 fogs with true yellow bulbs from PIAA (superb in fog and snow) before the CVs, but at 100 bucks a pair, I didn't want to chance if I didn't like them.

I might consider them though... we'll see. I live just a block from the Pacific Ocean here in San Francisco and we get crazy thick fog! Downright spooky fog.

Gregorio

Reaction score
Hey Gregorio!

The factory bulbs are extremely dim, I was quite surprised. They may do this to get people to bump up to the HIDs, naturally... good marketing when it comes to "best, better, good." I did post this on another LR forum and one of the members with HIDs, replaced his H11 fogs (which are crazy-dim) with CVs and was super happy with them. I dislike when the fogs don't match HIDs, that yellow just doesn't work. So for those of you with HIDs, replace those yellow H11 fogs with CVs or another brand if you prefer.

Anyway, the CV bulbs are pretty outstanding for the price - not HID all the way, but pretty damn close. And from a vision perspective, they're amazing and you can really see the road, nice white 4000K light.

I have read that replacements/life of these bulbs isn't that great, but I think that may be the trade-off of this technology.

I think I read that HIDs can last up to 5-years or so?

I am thinking of going the HID route with the fog lights since I have not gotten around to putting the CV bulbs in. I already have the HID headlights and the current fogs are so dull they useless. Still looking for a true plug and play kit that does not require slpicing or cutting. Do you think the CV bulbs would be nearly as good as HID?

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of going the HID route with the fog lights since I have not gotten around to putting the CV bulbs in. I already have the HID headlights and the current fogs are so dull they useless. Still looking for a true plug and play kit that does not require slpicing or cutting. Do you think the CV bulbs would be nearly as good as HID?

The original H11 bulbs for the fogs (as well as) the Halogens are equally useless, I mean they're both dim! The exact same bulbs. So if you hate the fogs, can you imagine how I felt to have both the halogens and fogs being so dim! The LR HIDs are miles ahead of what I had.

I don't want to oversell the CVs, but IMHO, they are the closest I've seen to HIDs for much less money. The projected light is pure white, very much a match to HID, along with the distance and safety of HIDs.

I was VERY skeptical at first, but after reading that Philips won numerous awards with the CVs in Europe and that they're consumer claim on their Web site notes that these are the "closest you can get to HIDs" and that they’re only 37 dollars a pair, I ordered them.

When I got them and installed them I was blown away. I honestly cannot tell the difference from my '08 M3 HIDs and these new CVs.

I think Philips nailed it with these and when you think about these new bulbs and process recently out of Germany, totally new technology and injection process, it's very plausible that these could be as good as HIDs. HIDs are an older technology and there's no question HIDs have competition.

These bulbs will not last as long as HIDs – but since they've only been on the US market for about four-weeks now, we’ll see what the life is soon.

BTW - fog HIDs are pretty hot looking! Why not try CVs (they are cheap) and if you don't like them just sell them on eBay.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV