1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LR4 Hand brake Fault

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Japbreak, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Japbreak

Japbreak Member

Hi all,

I hope all is well with everybody in these crazy times.

I have a 2011 LR4. It’s an excellent jeep and so comfortable. A really good purchase.

We’ve been very lucky with it so far as regards any issue but I’m stumped on one issue.

My park brake is throwing up a fault and putting on the restricted performance light.

While driving I can fully engage park brake but the park brake will not stay engaged while parked or apply if car is stationary.

There’s no screeching sounds when I try to apply park brake. Actually there’s no sounds at all and it doesn’t apply.

Also I can not get the vehicle into “park brake service mode” I’m assuming this is because of the park brake fault showing.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. cperez

cperez Full Access Member

Please don't call your Land Rover a "jeep."

Are you drifting in your vehicle? You mentioned that you can fully engage the parking brake while driving. Maybe this is the cause of your issue: damage to the brake from doing this.

The best approach would be to pull codes with a good quality OBD code reader. Even a simple code reader would be a good start. You can pull codes for free at most auto parts stores.

3. Japbreak

Japbreak Member

Thank you for your reply cperez.

No I’m not drifting my Land Rover I was simply checking to see if the electronic brake was engaging at all.
    I carried out a similar approach to that of bedding in new brake pads and shoes. All seems fine but electronic park brake will not stay engaged and throws up park brake fault.

cperez likes this.
  4. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

You can take your rear tires off and see if they are adjusted properly.

Could be the actuator, though. Do a search on here to figure out how to diagnose that.

Japbreak likes this.
  5. DaytonaRS7

DaytonaRS7 Full Access Member

possibly parking brake switch?

the parking brake not doing anything, not screeching, and throwing a fault is weird.

Japbreak likes this.
  6. Japbreak

Japbreak Member

The hand brake engages when pulled while in motion, brings car to a stop, holds for 5 seconds then it disengages itself. Everything seems to be working but the hand brake will not stay engaged.

7. Stuart Barnes

Stuart Barnes Full Access Member

"In the dynamic apply mode, if the vehicle speed is more than 10 km/h (6.25 mph) when the parking brake switch is selected to apply, the parking brake module requests the ABS (anti-lock brake system) module to activate the disc brakes on all four wheels. When the vehicle comes to a standstill, the parking brake module statically applies the parking brake. Once the static load is achieved, the hydraulic pressure is removed. If the parking brake switch is released to the neutral position, or pressed down to the release position, during dynamic apply, braking is cancelled."

This is lifted from Land Rovers technical description of the parking brake.

Stu.

Just read your original post again, if you're moving forward or backwards and apply the handbrake then the car uses the other brakes to stop then releases these and leaves the handbrake engaged, as per description above. So it may be that the handbrake is actually goosed or somehow not operating and you're thinking it is operating ok because of the help from the rest of the braking system.

As the others above have said if you can get a code reader then that would help a lot. (there are over 40 error codes for the Parking brake controller alone)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    PatriotLandyTX likes this.
  8. Japbreak

Japbreak Member

Perfect. Thank you very much. I will get the code reader and find out the problem. Cheers!!

9. eddyoz

eddyoz New Member