LR4 just shuts off when I place car into park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2016 LR4 HSE and I have a question.

Is there a sequence that shuts my LR4 off when I am parking? I've noticed if I have ECO mode on, about 50% of the time when I put the car in park it completely shuts off (not just the engine). Even if I don't want the car to completely shut off. I'm not pressing the start/stop button at anytime during this occurrence. The other 50% it just parks the engine in ECO mode like i would expect.

Anyway this is driving me crazy. I was wondering if it has to do with how fast i put the car in park, foot on brake or some other bizarre combination.

Thanks
Mike

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that with Evoque loaners too. However they don't seem to do it all the time.
Might want to check with LR directly...

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed this too with loaner . I think the electronics recognize you are at you destination you visit frequently and automatically shuts down. I noticed it would shut down at my home more often than other spots, maybe it uses your gps in conjunction with brake pressure and shifter.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you unbuckled your seat belt when you put it in Park? Does it also sometimes happen when you have already put it in Park and then unbuckle your seat belt?

This is most likely the ECO mode combined with the car thinking you are going to exit the care (combination of unbuckling the seat belt and putting the car in Park.)

But I also find that this doesn't happen (nor does ECO mode) when I am in Off Road height or if the combination of battery charging/battery load is such that ECO mode won't go on. (ECO mode is only used when it sense that the battery is "topped off" or something near that and that the load of whatever is on won't unduly drain it. At least that is my clueless, layman's explanation of what I experience.)

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had it happen at work, at Costco, and at Home. Only home is in NAV.
The seatbelt is on.

I'm going to try and replicate it over the next week using the following criteria.

1) Location
2) Speed at which I move the dial from D to P paying attention to if it lingers in N or not.
3) ECO on or off.
4) Speed between stopping and moving the dial. (for some reason I think it may happen when I stop and immediately move the dial). I will give it a few seconds, and also try it moving quickly.

Thanks

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm starting to figure this out.

I Have the 'vision' package.

1) From what I am experiencing, the car is detecting if I am in a parking space or possibly if a building is directly in front of me the car car shuts off.
2) If I remove my seatbelt, car shuts off.
3) I am going to experiment with brake pressure next.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a sequence of events.

1) drive up to a structure.
2) Put car in Park
3) Release seatbelt.
4) Turn car off.

That has been the way I operate for years.

#3 When I take the seatbelt out the car shuts off.

Seems like an OK safety feature. Ill just change the order of #3 and #4.

Figured it out.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not simply omit step 4? Less work! :)

The car is doing that for you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi