LR4 - LCA - Longevitiy/Diagnostic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toucansurfer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was wondering for the front LCA's on the LR4's what do you find is the tell tale sign that your Front Lower control arms need replacing(specifically the bushings). I've read that most people wait till they start hearing the metal knock when they brake or go over *** holes, but was wondering if there is anything else that is obvious. I did a service back a few months ago and they recommended that my LCA's should be replaced specifically that my passenger side was getting bad. I passed since they wanted a fortune ($2,400) and plan to do it myself, but I don't hear any knocking as noted above just minor swaying when on the highway. Do you recommend just replacing them anyways or wait till I hear a knocking sound?

On a side note anyone with higher mileage rigs what issues have you come into. I got mine ~130k miles and it's now at ~156k miles and have had the following items done.

• Spark plugs (scheduled maintenance - did at home)
  • O2 sensors (Had to replace - check engine light came on)
  • Transmission drain (plan to do the pan replacement soon)
  • Coolant leak/engine overheated (engine still is okay I guess i dodged a bullet that the engine survived the over heating) - replaced the crossover member and water pump and some other bits that went with it (done at the dealer)
  • A few annoying items like latch on the hood and the tailgate (done at home)
Plan on doing a few of the upcoming scheduled maintenance items (brake hose replacement/flush brake fluid) and LCA's once I get access to a garage, but was wondering if there were any other likely items to wear out soon.

I've read to keep an eye out for the timing chain guides to go since they're plastic, likely to encounter another water pump/crossover member again if I own for long enough, Rear LCA's, possibly might need to deal with compressor issues with the air shocks at some point (plan to convert to coil's when I get issues).

Cheers,

Ian

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two tell tale signs.
- The bushings are loaded with oil. When some fail they can drip.
- Rolling up to and over a speed bump should feel tight. When they go you can feel a distinct 'bump' or play in the LCA.

$2400? for LCA's? Highway robbery. Should be half that.

toucansurfer

Reaction score
Yeah $2,400 is way too much. I'll probably have a go at them once I get access to a garage again. Just not in a rush as there isn't any feelings of bumps when going over speed bumps/*** holes.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, when I would drive on the freeway the steering wheel would shake. My LAC’s and sway-bar bushings were all I total $930 with labor included. There definitely trying to rob you.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering for the front LCA's on the LR4's what do you find is the tell tale sign that your Front Lower control arms need replacing(specifically the bushings). I've read that most people wait till they start hearing the metal knock when they brake or go over *** holes, but was wondering if there is anything else that is obvious. I did a service back a few months ago and they recommended that my LCA's should be replaced specifically that my passenger side was getting bad. I passed since they wanted a fortune ($2,400) and plan to do it myself, but I don't hear any knocking as noted above just minor swaying when on the highway. Do you recommend just replacing them anyways or wait till I hear a knocking sound?

On a side note anyone with higher mileage rigs what issues have you come into. I got mine ~130k miles and it's now at ~156k miles and have had the following items done.

• Spark plugs (scheduled maintenance - did at home)
  • O2 sensors (Had to replace - check engine light came on)
  • Transmission drain (plan to do the pan replacement soon)
  • Coolant leak/engine overheated (engine still is okay I guess i dodged a bullet that the engine survived the over heating) - replaced the crossover member and water pump and some other bits that went with it (done at the dealer)
  • A few annoying items like latch on the hood and the tailgate (done at home)
Plan on doing a few of the upcoming scheduled maintenance items (brake hose replacement/flush brake fluid) and LCA's once I get access to a garage, but was wondering if there were any other likely items to wear out soon.

I've read to keep an eye out for the timing chain guides to go since they're plastic, likely to encounter another water pump/crossover member again if I own for long enough, Rear LCA's, possibly might need to deal with compressor issues with the air shocks at some point (plan to convert to coil's when I get issues).

Cheers,

Ian

Last edited:

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, when I would drive on the freeway the steering wheel would shake. My LAC’s and sway-bar bushings were all I total $930 with labor included. There definitely trying to rob you.

Same for, except I would also feel a bump or “clunk when I stopped or went over a small bump in the road.

FYI, after going through OEM LCA’s about every 30K miles, I switched to Lucky 8’s LCA’s with the orange urethane bushings and they’ve been amazing! They’re still going strong 25K miles later and are just a stiff as the day they were installed. They were a little bit more than OEM, but well worth it!

As far as high mileage things to check, my LR4’s at 165K miles, the timing chains are due. If you follow LR’s guidance they should have been done at 150K. I’ve been pushing mine, but it’s time as I can hear them chattering a little. Unfortunately, the Orr’s alone are $2-$3k to get those done. Of course that might include all the tools for a DIY repair, I can’t remember....but I do know it’s not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

toucansurfer

Reaction score
Yeah the LCA's with solid bushings from Atlantic British look pretty nice. Definitively feels worth it. Just figure i'll keep chucking parts at the rig till something fairly expensive comes up then call it quits.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LAC’s and sway-bar bushings were all I total $930 with labor included.

My LCA service has always been sub-$1000 and that's in the DC market. It's been awhile since I've had that done so prices may have changed. I'm having mine checked at the next service event coming up.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll second...or third that. The LCA’s cost $388 from Lucky 8, and then another $90 if you want the orange poly bush kit (I recommend it).

So, for parts you’re looking at about $470

Installation isn’t too bad, however, you’re going to need an alignment afterwards. I’ve seen some shops charge upwards of $200-$250 for one of these. [emoji2357]

All that is to say, your repair bill should still ring in under $1000....unless they’re trying to pull something fishy....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the poly bushing alternative.

I know some here eschew them, but I have had zero issues with mine and it eliminates a known weak point of the vehicle.

I actually went all in and had all of mine replaced with the orange poly. The only rubber left on mine are the rear wheel knuckle bushings, and that is only because I couldn't find a poly option to replace those.

No sqeaks, no degradation in ride quality that I can feel, and no more clunking after 20K miles.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sqeaks, no degradation in ride quality that I can feel, and no more clunking after 20K miles.

You're making a heck of a case for these. I have a set of LCAs that I kept specifically because only the factory bushings were shot. They would be perfect candidates to press in some poly and give it a try.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut