LR4 Timing Chain repair questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a 2010 LR4 with about 65K miles, and I did hear the rattling noise about two weeks ago when starting cold, but that was the only once I heard that noise

I realized this timing chain issue from some Youtuber's video on LR4 re-visiting review, and I am following this topic here. Yes, I did some homework, but I do have questions for you guys and want your input.

Of course, I will first call LRNA customer service and appeal to NJ consumer protection law such UNFAIR CLAIMS SETTLEMENT PRACTICES ACT, hopefully. But I am ready to pay out of my own pocket.

Question 1:
Should I just replace the guide and tensioner or the full chain kit

Question 2:
I am wondering what any other parts that can be replaced along with this timing chain repair job, for the purpose of saving labor cost?

Thanks

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a ton of info for you but I believe fuel injectors can go ahead and be done when doing the chains and guides. But at 65k miles on a 2010, that’s crazy low miles or is that a typo?

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no it is not a typo

it was a weekend / fun car for several years

portlandlife

Reaction score
If you heard it once, wouldn't you continue to hear the rattle? It seems like that chain rattle sounds wouldn't be something that comes and goes but I don't know. Are you going to do it yourself or have a shop do the work?

I have a 2010 Range Rover with 67k miles. I haven't heard the chain rattle, but sometimes those loud lifters on cold start make me take a long listen.

m62e38

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 2010 LR4 with about 65K miles, and I did hear the rattling noise about two weeks ago when starting cold, but that was the only once I heard that noise

I realized this timing chain issue from some Youtuber's video on LR4 re-visiting review, and I am following this topic here. Yes, I did some homework, but I do have questions for you guys and want your input.

Of course, I will first call LRNA customer service and appeal to NJ consumer protection law such UNFAIR CLAIMS SETTLEMENT PRACTICES ACT, hopefully. But I am ready to pay out of my own pocket.

Question 1:
Should I just replace the guide and tensioner or the full chain kit

Question 2:
I am wondering what any other parts that can be replaced along with this timing chain repair job, for the purpose of saving labor cost?

Thanks
I'm not a Land Rover owner, however being that your engine is BMW we share the same condition I'm afraid. My situation is further progressed than yours because my engine has 180,000 miles.
If nobody here can guide you in the correct direction i have a link that might be helpful.
Whoever is suggesting changing fuel injectors with this procedure is.......not informed. The two have absolutely no connection with each other.
One thing I think importiant is BMW has done a recall and will payforchain repair for vehicles under 70,000. Not sure if you fit in here but It's worth looking into.
Recomendedparts and required parts are what is involved in the repair. Can you believe 20 plus hours are billed for this repair!
Good luck and.....DO NOT do the fuel injectors during this repair! it will only be throwing the needle in the haystack...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Land Rover owner, however being that your engine is BMW we share the same condition I'm afraid. My situation is further progressed than yours because my engine has 180,000 miles.
If nobody here can guide you in the correct direction i have a link that might be helpful.
Whoever is suggesting changing fuel injectors with this procedure is.......not informed. The two have absolutely no connection with each other.
One thing I think importiant is BMW has done a recall and will payforchain repair for vehicles under 70,000. Not sure if you fit in here but It's worth looking into.
Recomendedparts and required parts are what is involved in the repair. Can you believe 20 plus hours are billed for this repair!
Good luck and.....DO NOT do the fuel injectors during this repair! it will only be throwing the needle in the haystack...

The LR4 and BMW do not share engines. You are thinking of 2003 to 2005 Range Rovers, or the V8 in the new 2023 Range Rovers.

The 5.0 or SCV6 engines in LR4 are used in Jaguars.

That in mind, changing fuel injectors along with the timing chain job is a recommended procedure as you've got to remove the fuel injectors to do the full job.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m shocked your hearing it at 65k, I have 130k on my truck and I still haven’t heard the rattle yet. I’m praying I will never have to hear it, but it’s inevitable.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are silent too a 200k kms. Frankly as a 2010 it is now old enough that if and when the time comes I will either just sell it to a motivated buyer who wants a mechanics special bargain or do it myself at a leisurely pace as a hobby in the garage. It's days of daily driver duty is quickly coming to an end and once the vehicle supply reaches normality it will be replaced on daily drive duty with something frankly more efficient.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m shocked your hearing it at 65k, I have 130k on my truck and I still haven’t heard the rattle yet. I’m praying I will never have to hear it, but it’s inevitable.

I think metal creep is also a matter of time , since tensioner pushing force is all the time there applied to the guide

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA