LR4 Towing report... and my new toy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be slightly off topic, but what the heck...

So, I towed about 6500 lbs for 5 hours this weekend. LR4 did great. Used a **** ton of fuel, but otherwise I was fine.

5500# Shorelandr trailer, 2014 with tandem disc brakes. With my new toy on it. Sea Ray 240 Select with a Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI and a bravo 3 outdrive (props are off for refinishing now, but its got the two counter rotating props)

DSC_5643_zpsa8a0c641.jpg

DSC_5644_zps552fc6e8.jpg

DSC_5642_zps690c868a.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow - that's a beautiful boat. I have to ask, how did the tires hold up/handle?

-David

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow - that's a beautiful boat. I have to ask, how did the tires hold up/handle?

-David

Really well. This is one reason I didn't go with blizzaks. I wanted winter capability without having soft tires with a low load rating.

The tires didnt seem any more noisy. They handled the load fine and tracked really well. This is a fantastic tow vehicle.

Putting 28 feet of trailer and boat behind the LR4 makes the rover look REALLY small... LOL.

Oh.. and the name of the boat will be...

LAKEROVER_zpsc14b198f.jpg

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks great! Do you have an electric brake controller, or just tow as is?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks great! Do you have an electric brake controller, or just tow as is?

It has a hydraulic surge brake system. So, when the trailer pushes against the car it applies brakes. Works great. It has the 5 flat pin connector so that if you use reverse it won't apply the brake.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of that. Sounds like a nice system...

C4SumLR4

Reaction score
I see you say a ...ton of fuel... curious though what the average mpg was during the tow if you recall? Thanks.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have measured more precisely, but I didnt. I'd say it was maybe 12-14, but thats just a rough guess.

It stayed in a lower gear more, shifted down on hills. The weight was a big factor on any kind of hill, but the wind resistance was always there. It didn't struggle to pull it, but I could tell it was working harder. Braking felt a bit scary, but I could feel the trailer doing its part. I love having disc brakes on both trailer axles.

I wonder how the MY14 V6 would do with my boat? Higher RPM for a lot longer. The V8 still sounds good even if you have to push it a little. I am not sure I would want to hear 3000-4000 rpm for 5 hours.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi