Lr4 towing rv 27ft, 7000lbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irascema

Reaction score
Hello!
I was wondering if anyone have been towing a travel trailer 27ft long 7000lbs gross weight with an LR4 2011.

I do, but all the time is swinging, both, LR4 and rv. The power is not an issue, everything feels pretty good, just that movement. I have weight distribution. Any tips?

I live in Canada, southern Alberta rigth now is very windy.

I am driving all time at 80-90 km/hr.

Thanks.

TonyInIdaho

Reaction score
Not sure if this was ever resolved? If so how?

If not, my suggestion would be to have an anti-sway bar added to your equalizer hitch. I have a 30' travel trailer that I pull with my full size Yukon XL, it will even sway somewhat with a pretty stiff sidewind.

MHammy

Reaction score
I towed a 25ft / 6k lb Ibex 20BHS travel travel with my LR4 about 2k miles, and was never happy with it. I tried with and without a nice WD hitch w/ built-in sway control, a separate trailer-mounted electronic sway control, it never felt good. Even went to the scales multiple times to get the weight dialed in. With only 600lbs of tongue weight, I think the TT was technically over the 550lb spec IIRC. The specs say that the LR4 can pull >7k lbs, but the payload is almost always your limiting factor. 550lbs is low for >7k lbs, way under than the 10% rule of thumb, so that's a bit of an inconsistency with the Land Rover specs. The TT's have such a large surface area to catch wind, and the pure weight ratings don't incorporate that. (As an aside, you may want to consider reading Ford's towing guide, it talks about trailer surface area and how it affects the tow vehicle.) I never felt comfortable towing above 55-60mph, and every time a semi would pass me on the freeway, the tail was wagging the dog. The LR4 is a pretty capable truck, but the relatively short wheelbase isn't the best for TTs. I ultimately bought an F-150, and with the same WD hitch and TT, it's a night and day difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV