LR4 Valve Cover Gasket Replacement?

Discussion in 'LR4' started by scott schmerge, Dec 17, 2018.

1. scott schmerge

scott schmerge Full Access Member

Anyone out there that has replaced the valve cover gasket on a 5.0 engine? I’ve searched and searched and can’t seem to find any info for my LR4. I’ve got a minor leak off the passenger side. Not a pressing issue but would like to address it in the next couple of months. Can anyone direct me to YouTube or other step by step?

I’ve done a valve cover before and am thinking it is not overly complicated on this truck. Looks like fuel rail, depressurization of fuel system, injectors, then valve cover removal and gasket replacement, rtv sealant, etc...

I’m guessing access might be a bit of a challenge to some of the valve cover bolts.

Assuming while I’m at it, new injector replacement is also going to happen...it’s got 117k on the clock now.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Azoo

Azoo Full Access Member

It shouldn't really be a difficult project, Why not just look around the valve cover to see if all the bolts are accessible and also see if what obstructions might be along your path and figure out if you can remove them. I did my plugs during the summer and the last 2 closest to the firewall was a pain so i'm thinking the back bolts might be the hardest to get to. So i would take off the engine cover and the 2 air cleaner boxes and See if its doable.

3. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

I don't think you'll have to remove the injectors, will you? If so, that would probably be the biggest PITA of the job.

4. scott schmerge

https://www.roverparts.com/resources/videos/fuel-injectors-late-model-land-rover/
    I’m assuming it’s removal of both plugs and injectors based on design. Could be wrong... anyone with insights? AB has a slide hammer like tool for pulling injectors which makes it look relatively easy. By the looks of the video, sans valve covers, I think that’s what I’m looking at as a part of the job.

Looks as though gaskets in center of valve cover go around plugs and injectors.

Would love to know exact step by step to ensure I know exactly what I’m getting into and all tools required.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  5. rick manzano

rick manzano New Member

6. rick manzano

rick manzano New Member

You will need to remove your injectors, and coils. Disconnect the fuel line in the branch that connects to the other bank.You will need to replace the seals on the injectors.

7. scott schmerge

Yep, I figured that out. This project is next on the list. Thanks for the input. Leak seems to have slowed after torquing the valve cover bolts. I found the main source of oil leakage (albeit still minimal- it is a Land Rover after all) is the vacuum pump on the bottom front of the engine.