LR4 Windshield Defroster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pawsox

Reaction score
Ok this may sound crazy. We are looking at buying a LR4, all around great car. We borrowed one overnight. Has anyone noticed an issue with the tiny graph paper like lines from the front windshield defrost. During the day its not that noticeable and something we would get use to, but driving the other night it was annoying as it caused glare from approaching headlights and street lights. Anyone else notice this? I ask because I wonder if we were imagining something or just overly sensitive that night as it seems crazy that I haven't seen it come up in any road test or forums. thanks

Joe Heavey

Reaction score
Windshield

pawsox,

I just purchased a Range Rover Sport and we had this same issue. We are having the windshile replaced and we will see if it makes a difference. I think they may have changed vendors in 2010 becasue we are driving a Loner LR3 from a previous year and the glare at night is minimal (you hardly notice it at all).

Good luck.

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pawsox,
I noticed it when we first picked up the LR4, it was distracting. That being said, until I read your post, I can't say I've noticed it/commented on it to the missus in a long time. Guess you just get used to it. I shudder to think at the cost of replacement if it gets a rock through it though.

CHT

Reaction score
Ok this may sound crazy. We are looking at buying a LR4, all around great car. We borrowed one overnight. Has anyone noticed an issue with the tiny graph paper like lines from the front windshield defrost. During the day its not that noticeable and something we would get use to, but driving the other night it was annoying as it caused glare from approaching headlights and street lights. Anyone else notice this? I ask because I wonder if we were imagining something or just overly sensitive that night as it seems crazy that I haven't seen it come up in any road test or forums. thanks

It's actually the heated windshield elements. If you look closely, it's like graph paper in the windshield. I noticed it within a few days of taking home our 2010 LR4...my wife didn't notice until I pointed it out (she's not happy about me doing that). I agree with the poster above...during the day it's fine. At night, there is glare that I feel could actually be dangerous. Not sure what to do. I suspect the only way to solve the issue would be to remove and replace the windshield with a non-heated version which will hurt your resale value. I have not found any other LR4 complaints, but have seen posting on other car enthusiasts sites about this issue with other vehicles with heated windshields.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's one of those things, you notice it if you are aware of it and you don't if you forget about it. I did not notice it driving day and night for several weeks after purchasing the truck untill my wife pointed it out. It started to bother me a bit and I do notice it during day also but I am getting used to it. Try to focus on the cars ahead of you not the windshield. Better better yet, don't think about it. It will be forgetten soon and you will get used to it.

CHT

Reaction score
It's one of those things, you notice it if you are aware of it and you don't if you forget about it. I did not notice it driving day and night for several weeks after purchasing the truck untill my wife pointed it out. It started to bother me a bit and I do notice it during day also but I am getting used to it. Try to focus on the cars ahead of you not the windshield. Better better yet, don't think about it. It will be forgetten soon and you will get used to it.

Thanks. Hope you are right. I'm one of those people who like a clean windshield...you're probably right....sometimes I forget (during the day), especially when looking in the distance. It's lights at night that really bug me.

On a related note, anyone know if the heating elements will interfere with a radar detector?

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the plus side, the heated windshield does a hell of a job on frosty mornings or on cold days with a car full of dogs and people, it is defrosted almost instantly, and stays that way.
Re. the radar detector. You could test to see if it interferes by placing a cellphone or handheld radio on the dash right? Radio signals is radio signals, if a radio works there, a radar detector would? Or do I not know what I am talking about....

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never notice the lines during the day, but sometimes at night with oncoming glare. Seems worse if my contacts are dirty from the beach or skiing. You do get used to it. As mentioned, it is great for melting ice & snow and quickly eliminating inside fogging. Valentine One radar detector works perfectly through it.

NaraBronzeLR4

Reaction score
I have this same issue. I find the lines themselves are dark enough that they are extremely visible and distracting in bright daylight and the lights from oncoming cars or brake lights at night seem to "light up" the grid in that area, causing glare.

It doesn't seem bad enough that it could cause an accident (except maybe if someone was coming at you on a darkly lit road with their brights on), but I find it perplexing that most people wouldn't be annoyed by this.

Would it be worth talking to my dealer to see if it's replaceable with a non-heated version?
Although I definitely wouldn't want to foot that bill myself. Not sure what to do...

Do others notice this or find it to be an issue at all with their LR4s?

dstrickler

Reaction score
I'm no LR expert, but they used to have very thin metal strands in the front windshield that were heated to handle defrost/de-ice. Something tells me you are seeing those.

Now I do own an LR4 (only for a week), but I don't see them at night. Also, my vision is not great close up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV