LR4 Wont turn over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

travair

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2013 LR4 at auction. No manual. I replaced the battery first and bought a good OEM quality battery. I am not getting smart key error so I think it is working. Doors lock and unlock and fob appears to work. The start stop button will turn accessories on and everything appears to work. i do not hear any clicking or attempt to turn over. I also pressed the brake pedal thru the floor practically and nothing. I cant find anything online after googling for hours. Ive search this site a bit. I am 3hrs from the nearest dealer. I'm going to pic up an OBD Reader this week. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you owned any Land Rovers before? Done any mechanical work on vehicles? Just trying to get a handle on your capabilities.

A Land Rover specific ODB tool will be a lot more useful.. like the GAP diagnostics IID tool.

Reading the codes is probably first, but you will need to check fuel, starter (fuses, etc)... just start going through it like any other car for the most part.

travair

Reaction score
Thank you for reply!!

I'm fairly capable and not affriad to try and tackle it. Just installed lift on my SUV in driveway so I can do some things.
I have a 2013 Range Rover Sport SC and have been researching a good LR obd tool. The battery I pulled was a 2012 Land Rover factory battery so I knew it was probably shot. I noticed 3-5 relays in underhood fuse box were changed out. They were grey in color and not OEM Land Rover as all the others are. So was thinking someone may have started there before me being this was an auction vehicle. It was a repo vs a salvaged accident car.
Everything is so clean. Even a costco tire change sticker inside window and oil change sticker. Its not beat to heck and both fobs were with it.

travair

Reaction score
Actually just looked under wifes hood since she just got home. The Rover relays are also grey too. So maybe the LR hasnt been messed with. I thought about swapping all of them out. I just swapped Start/Stop button and wifes car started just fine with LRs button. So relays and fuses I go.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you bought it from the auction not running? Seems strange. Did they claim it was running before? Worst case is the engine is seized lol. Best case something like a brake switch.

travair

Reaction score
That is correct. It was not running. It was a bank repo and according to Carfax a single owner. What was different and made me pull the trigger was both keys were there and new tires along with a sticker from Costco in the window for tire rotation and an oil change sticker. So somebody took care of the vehicle. The inside was very nice and the outside has very minor nicks and no dents. The bank wanted $8700 buy it now at the auction but I bid $6900 and the bank excepted. So I have a $30,000 vehicle with about eight invested so far.

travair

Reaction score
I think the brake switch is ok as it doesn’t give me error to press brake when pushing start button. Could be blown engine but started doesn’t even engage. No click or anything. I purchased a $400 Bosch OBD scanner. It says it does Euro and ABS too. So we shall see what it says. My buddy has a $4000 one for his shop if I can’t figure anything out. Last night I took all relays and start stop button and put them in wife’s Rover and it started and runs. Process of elimination. I read in Range Rover manual that you can press throttle fully to start and bypass brake if that doesn’t work. I’m not sure LR is the same but tried and nada.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the brake switch is ok as it doesn’t give me error to press brake when pushing start button. Could be blown engine but started doesn’t even engage. No click or anything. I purchased a $400 Bosch OBD scanner. It says it does Euro and ABS too. So we shall see what it says. My buddy has a $4000 one for his shop if I can’t figure anything out. Last night I took all relays and start stop button and put them in wife’s Rover and it started and runs. Process of elimination. I read in Range Rover manual that you can press throttle fully to start and bypass brake if that doesn’t work. I’m not sure LR is the same but tried and nada.

The Gap IID tool is really good for everything your buddy with the $4000 tool can do. Not sure about the Bosch. Gap tool is an extra 200, but probably worth the added investment. Erik Torno at Lucky 8 sells them, but sure you could get a pre owned one for less. It’s $30 to have it switched over to your vehicle (these are vin specific)

travair

Reaction score
Awesome!! Thanks! Assuming the $512 one and not the $2000 one. I’ll call them tomorrow.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A '13 model was a single owner, yet repo'd by the bank? That thing had to have been just about paid off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA