Lucky 8 LR4 ARB Rear Locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I know that "why can't I add an ARB rear locker to my LR4" thread has been done to death here and elsewhere. If you're not familiar with it, ARB came out with the rear locker for any LR3 that did not have the OEM locker and then when they tried to modify it for the LR4, there were some technical blockers - I'm not a mechanic but if I remember correctly it was that there a variety of spline sizes and they could not reliably and predictably 100% of the time ensure that the rear locker would work on every single LR4 so they took it off the market and branded it as LR3 only.

Well, according to Lucky 8, they have a "drop in ARB-based rear locker." You pull your factory (non-HD, non-rear-locker) diff, drop in theirs and send your old one back.

Has anybody here done this? I have googled the crap out of it and can't find any positive reviews. Either they are sending you an LR4 diff with the right spline or maybe an LR3 diff that happens to work in the LR4. Not sure how they're pulling this off.

Anybody here have first-person knowledge of what they're doing and/or experience installing it? I'm leery of this option but if I want a rear locker on my 2013 I either go this route or swap the vehicle. I know that there is a third option which is dropping in all the OEM components and messing with the harness and the ECUs - I'm not interested in that route.

Thanks in advance. And if I missed any threads on this, feel free to redirect me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you called them to ask? Very friendly every time I have spoken with them.

Good luck. I know a lot of guys say you can get by just fine without one, but not once have I regretted having the lockers in mine.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good luck. I know a lot of guys say you can get by just fine without one, but not once have I regretted having the lockers in mine.
They were a bit cagey about the "how" (claiming secret sauce which is silly) but my point is more - has anybody else actually done it? Don't really want to be the first guinea pig.

And yeah I had front and rear lockers in my 4runner that I traded in on my LR4. I didn't use them often but they were there when I needed them and I found that they alllowed for more controlled driving, vs. having to work with the Traction control on the gnarliest cross-axle situations.

Not sure I'll pull the trigger on this. Was hoping that in this crew somebody had already validated that this works. Man it would suck to install this and then have something go wrong.

John Redl

Reaction score

I’m wondering if there’s any benefits from a locker in the 2013 D4. Personally I find the traction control to be excellent and really can’t think of a time a locker on this car would have been worth the money and effort.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if there’s any benefits from a locker in the 2013 D4. Personally I find the traction control to be excellent and really can’t think of a time a locker on this car would have been worth the money and effort.
It's the standard benefit. If you know you'll need it to get through something, then you can engage it in advance and rely less on "considered momentum" and spinning up the TC. It lets you use more mechanical sympathy basically. Having had it on my last truck, I miss it on the LR.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I seriously posted this exact thing about a month ago on here that Lucky8 was able to fit an ARB locker in the rear for the LR4 with the exact same concerns.

I spoke to Lucky8 and they have a pre-installed locker in the LR4 diff for easy plug n play. Just need to add your own air compressor and hardware. I want to do it, but everything I've been doing was ok without the locker. I feel like locker would 100% help in situations, but I haven't justified it just yet.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seriously posted this exact thing about a month ago on here that Lucky8 was able to fit an ARB locker in the rear for the LR4 with the exact same concerns.

I spoke to Lucky8 and they have a pre-installed locker in the LR4 diff for easy plug n play. Just need to add your own air compressor and hardware. I want to do it, but everything I've been doing was ok without the locker. I feel like locker would 100% help in situations, but I haven't justified it just yet.
Yeah, I'm not keen on being their guinea pig.

K9ROVER

Reaction score
I took the chance and had Lucky8 build one for my 08 Range Rover Supercharged Sport. Worked awesome on the one trail I made it out to. But, after only a few thousand miles grinding started, Pinion bearing had failed. It was repaired by Lucky8. They covered parts, I paid shipping cost. Reinstalled and grinding came back again within a thousand miles. Axle output bearings are rough and gears are producing tons more metal. I’d guess the gears are worn and shot, from the initial failure. I’ve tried so many times to get a response back, but to no avail. So I have a barley used, bad ARB locked rear diff for a L320 SC (higher gearing) that sits until I find a trusted shop to rebuild it again.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the chance and had Lucky8 build one for my 08 Range Rover Supercharged Sport. Worked awesome on the one trail I made it out to. But, after only a few thousand miles grinding started, Pinion bearing had failed. It was repaired by Lucky8. They covered parts, I paid shipping cost. Reinstalled and grinding came back again within a thousand miles. Axle output bearings are rough and gears are producing tons more metal. I’d guess the gears are worn and shot, from the initial failure. I’ve tried so many times to get a response back, but to no avail. So I have a barley used, bad ARB locked rear diff for a L320 SC (higher gearing) that sits until I find a trusted shop to rebuild it again.
Aw mate. Sorry to hear this. This was exactly the type of fear I had about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA