Lucky 8 SYA Kit Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased the SYA kit and 4 Arnott struts recently and had my local Indy shop install them.

There were no instructions with the kit and this is the first time my shop had done one, they reached out to lucky 8 who then sent over a video on how to do it. All good so far at this point, their questions were regarding where to place the limiting straps and that video answered them.

When test driving after the install they noticed a “clunk” when going over any bumps. If you lift to off-road height this goes away and it drives great.

After troubleshooting a bit they think the struts aren’t inflating enough and are bottoming out. They have reached out to lucky 8 again multiple times and have received two responses; one asking if there was a lift kit installed (yeah, your SYA kit), the other asking them to check if they hooked up the airline extensions correctly.

After a couple weeks of this I’m getting pretty frustrated with the whole situation. Does anyone have any insight on what could be the problem? Wrong lift rods with the kit maybe?

Thanks,
Lee

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds more like an alignment problem to be honest. Moving to off-road height changes the geometry of the lower control arms. I bet that is what is clunking.

Did you also calibrate the ride height 2.5 inches higher with the gap tool? The stock mm measurement from center of wheel to bottom of wheel arch should be adjusted to include 64 more mm.

An easy test is to try to put the truck is access mode. If it "panics" and goes immediately back to normal height or extended mode, it is not calibrated.

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michael,

They have done a calibration as part of the troubleshooting and an alignment is planned after they figure this out. It does panic and raise when you attempt to drop to access mode though lucky 8’s website says that may happen with this kit.

I don’t understand why you would need to calibrate for this. Aren’t the sensor rods that come with the kit supposed to compensate for the increased height? Basically trick the truck into thinking it’s still at normal height?

I have the off-road plus kit with spacers, sensor rods and limiting straps.

Lee

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is it sitting around 2" taller at the "normal" ride height, now?

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, at least it’s supposed to be. I haven’t measured it myself but the shop is going to Monday and will compare against another LR4.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michael,

They have done a calibration as part of the troubleshooting and an alignment is planned after they figure this out. It does panic and raise when you attempt to drop to access mode though lucky 8’s website says that may happen with this kit.

I don’t understand why you would need to calibrate for this. Aren’t the sensor rods that come with the kit supposed to compensate for the increased height? Basically trick the truck into thinking it’s still at normal height?

I have the off-road plus kit with spacers, sensor rods and limiting straps.

Lee

Yep. Not calibrated CORRECTLY. It HAS to be calibrated so that the computer understands the new height (add +64mm). The rods control air volume, but it is a random voltage from the sensor to the body control module. You have to tell the BCM what that voltage means.

Tracking lucky 8 website. If it's calibrated, you get access, normal, and off-road height. Trust me. This is what I did when I installed mine.

Just calibrate it 64mm higher and get it aligned. You'll be much happier.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found it for you. OEM setting:
Screenshot_20210417-183533.png

What it needs to be calibrated at:
Front: 530mm
Rear: 549mm

Measured from the center of the wheel (think the center of the axle) to the bottom of the wheel arch

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to be installing this same kit soon. I’ve been disappointed in Lucky 8’s hesitation to share information. When I asked which parts go where, they basically just say “It will be clear.”

Any chance you still have access to that video, which they did not send to me? And is the calibration procedure documented somewhere, or is it as easy as adding 63mm to the stock ride heights listed above?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA