Magnaflow for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMH-LR4

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Magnaflow exhaust on an LR4 V8? I've got a 2012 and am considering installing one. I love the sound from the clips I've seen online, but was curious how loud it is inside the vehicle at highway speeds. I want to hear it when I jump on the throttle, but don't want anything too obnoxious when I'm cruising at 75 mph. Thanks!

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had it, loved it for a short while but eventually removed it and scrapped it.

It definitely makes the truck sound like a real V8. Hard acceleration sounded fantastic and when you kept the transmission in sport mode, the transmission blips the throttle on downshifts, which would make the exhaust pop and burble nicely.

Downsides:
One of the issues was a drone at cruising speeds. There's a spot in the cruise rev range that would just buzz and resonate and drive me crazy. I could put up with that if it weren't for the other big issue.

Major flaw: the muffler actually hung too low. It was just poor design. The stock muffler sits nice and high, there is plenty of space for a higher mount of the Magnaflow, but the way the kit is designed, the muffler hung down a solid inch below the frame and anything else on the truck. The part that hung down presented a flat face to catch objects. I actually had the muffler pulled out of the band clamps TWICE by simply hitting sand dunes with the muffler.

Lastly, the entire thing is made of a pretty low grade "stainless steel". It didn't take more than about 6 months to take on the color of rust from front to back. This is a common complaint against all Magnaflow exhausts. Their response is that surface rust is normal, but they guarantee it will not rust through. I wasn't pleased with that answer. For the price of that kit, they could use a better quality SS.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics showing what I was talking about.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 85

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the only video I could find with my exhaust attached. The vid itself is pretty uneventful (it is FAR steeper than it looks on vid!!). Just crank up your volume and you can hear the exhaust. Sounds fantastic here, but the drone at cruise speed... ugh!

https://youtu.be/nnEI3mSEBbA

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
I have one installed and I believe the previous owner modified it to sit a little higher between the frame wells. I also have full skid plates so you can't see the muffler at all. It sounds amazing. But yes you do get the hum at freeway speeds. But I don't really notice it. My roof rack makes the most noise.

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I deleted the middle resonator on my LR4 and get no drone at highway speeds. I've had Mangaflow's on a lot of different trucks in the past and the drone was always a killer for me. The resonator delete is far cheaper and sounds just as good IMO.

Stealther

Reaction score
Bama4door, you deleted the resonator on your OEM exhaust or on a Magnaflow? Any sound files you can share?

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bama4door, you deleted the resonator on your OEM exhaust or on a Magnaflow? Any sound files you can share?

I deleted the resonator on the OEM exhaust. It's the big can right behind the muffler. I'll see if I can get a video clip up sometime, I know there's a couple clips of other guys on here floating around.

dj_karl

Reaction score
I like the deeper tone of the Magnaflow. It is loud but not obnoxious.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi