Major Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving the LR4 yesterday morning after a Major blizzard and very low temps overnight. I noticed moderate shaking in the steering wheel especially over 50 mph. I thought it was either cold/flat spots on the tires because of the cold temps or an alignment issue.
Last night I was on the highway going about 70 mph. A message "restricted performance" pops up with the orange flashing engine light. the entire vehicle starts to shake and when i try to accelerate it would actually slow down and go into a lower gear and stay there. I turned around and headed home. I barely made it into my garage. Before i could put it in P, it stalled.
I tried to start it and the ignition would continuously crank and wouldn't stop unless I pressed the ignition button again. The LR4 would start for a few seconds and stall again.
Now when I try to start, all the lights come on but nothing happens. no ignition...nothing but a strong smell of gasoline.
I will call the dealer first thing in the AM to have it towed.
Any suggestions?
how can I get the LR4 out of P without the engine on?
Thanks LR4 - YouTube

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the battery isn't dead, you should be able to turn ignition on, foot on brake then move gear selector to N. If you're totally dead, I seem to recall there is a note in the handbook about a manual release of the gear lever. Same for the EPB.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how we can tell much from the video. Make sure and let us know what you find out. Would be nice to know which codes it threw if you can get those (from the dealer or whatever)

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moderate shaking in the steering wheel, especially over 50 MPH (or any particular speed) almost always indicates tires out of balance (especially front tires). This happens when you get a chunk of snow/ice stuck to a wheel, throwing it out of balance. Problem should go away once the wheel warms up and the snow/ice falls off. I've experienced this many times, especially after going through deep snow banks (both with LR4 and other vehicles).

<<<...nothing but a strong smell of gasoline>>>
Fuel smell is a little alarming, maybe a fuel line or ventilation line broke? Is the gasoline smell coming from the tail pipe (ie just from turning over the engine) or from somewhere else? If other than from the tailpipe, and if the smell is strong, then you need to be careful (avoid sparks etc) until the source is traced down and fixed.

If fuel smell is coming from the tailpipe, then it is probably just normal unburnt exhaust (due to engine not starting). In that case, I would apply the LR universal fix - disconnect battery negative terminal for ~5 minutes to reset all electronics, then reconnect. That seems to clear most errors.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moderate shaking in the steering wheel, especially over 50 MPH (or any particular speed) almost always indicates tires out of balance (especially front tires). This happens when you get a chunk of snow/ice stuck to a wheel, throwing it out of balance. Problem should go away once the wheel warms up and the snow/ice falls off. I've experienced this many times, especially after going through deep snow banks (both with LR4 and other vehicles).

<<<...nothing but a strong smell of gasoline>>>
Fuel smell is a little alarming, maybe a fuel line or ventilation line broke? Is the gasoline smell coming from the tail pipe (ie just from turning over the engine) or from somewhere else? If other than from the tailpipe, and if the smell is strong, then you need to be careful (avoid sparks etc) until the source is traced down and fixed.

If fuel smell is coming from the tailpipe, then it is probably just normal unburnt exhaust (due to engine not starting). In that case, I would apply the LR universal fix - disconnect battery negative terminal for ~5 minutes to reset all electronics, then reconnect. That seems to clear most errors.

The smell is coming from the engine. There is no turnover. The engine doesn't even start. I will call the dealer as soon as they open. Hopefully they can tow it today. I will keep everybody posted. To be honest, I was intent on leasing the 2014 LR4 or the RRS, but now I am rethinking it.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with BznLR4..had the same shaking before with similar conditions

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...
Called LR Roadside assistance, The Lady who answered my call was very courteous and helpful. They had a tow truck in my driveway within 2 hours.
When I went to pick up the loaner later in the afternoon, they had just gotten the LR4 and determined that the fuel injectors were faulty. They will replace the fuel injectors which will take a couple days since its a "big job and the shop is very busy". The service manger said it is a common problem with Land Rovers. Really???? on a car with 31,000 miles. I only use premium gasoline and service the vehicle twice a year or every 7500 miles instead of 15,000 miles. I am not sure why this would happen. I will have more info when I pick it up in a couple of days hopefully.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow. That does seem quite rare for only 31k miles. Did you buy your LR4 new with few miles?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut