May be late model LR3 v8 is the sweet spot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PWD2

Reaction score
Owned my 08 HSE for 8yrs now and it seems to be wearing very well indeed. 150+ miles. Its on the original exhaust, starter, alternator etc. Engine still seems quiet, no drop off in power or mpg that i can detect. Does not use any oil at all. Yes it's had regular 5w40 synthetic oil. Tranny fine (yes, oil was changed). Interior trim excellent. No sagging seats. Tempting fate here but I'm drawing comparisons with my Lexus ls400 in terms of wearing well. True, it has had a few issues along the way... top hose bleed valve failure, front control arm bushes, a suspension sensor, front wheel bearings, brake lines, rear ac line. I was toying with the idea of getting a late model LR4 as a replacement but based on 5.0 timing chain issues and comments about a bit noisier than 4.4 I'm thinking why bother(?). The slightly more luxurious trim I don't care about.
So, the question, is the 4.4 v8 the best LR motor so far?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You appeared to have answered your own question. I own a 2006 LR3 HSE and a 2010 LR4 HSE. The LR4 is dynamically (handling,driving, braking) superior to the LR3 however that is not the whole story. I would say you are correct that the 5.0L could be more problematic long term. I prefer the understated appearance of the LR3 as well (grille) and the headlights seem to be better. The extra power in the LR4 is nice when loaded in the mountains too. Both are great vehicles with their own little issues.. LR took a good design and changed a lot of what was lacking in the 3. The slower steering ratio in the 3 seems better suited for off road while the 4 handles better on road.

You need both.

Nick Schoeps

Reaction score
You appeared to have answered your own question. I own a 2006 LR3 HSE and a 2010 LR4 HSE. The LR4 is dynamically (handling,driving, braking) superior to the LR3 however that is not the whole story. I would say you are correct that the 5.0L could be more problematic long term. I prefer the understated appearance of the LR3 as well (grille) and the headlights seem to be better. The extra power in the LR4 is nice when loaded in the mountains too. Both are great vehicles with their own little issues.. LR took a good design and changed a lot of what was lacking in the 3. The slower steering ratio in the 3 seems better suited for off road while the 4 handles better on road.

You need both.

Great answer ktm525

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72