Metal Trans Pan - Gasket?

Discussion in 'LR4' started by TrinidadLR4, Dec 3, 2019.

1. TrinidadLR4

TrinidadLR4 Full Access Member

So I think I messed up my tightening or installation of the metal transmission oil pan(the AB conversion kit) and it's been leaking since. Not a significant amount but definitely noticeable. I've tried re-tightening but I think the gasket is shot and i need to replace it. I guess I'll do another trans fluid drain and refill at this point but I already put in the conversion kit with the separate filter and metal pan. Is there a place that sells just the filter and gasket and lets me reuse the metal pan, or do I need another entire conversion kit?

2. scott schmerge

scott schmerge Full Access Member

Atlantic British has just the gasket

3. TrinidadLR4

Yes they do! Thank you sir!

scott schmerge likes this.
  4. scott schmerge

i also used a gasket seal adhesive. Worth it just to have the adhesive to hold the sucker in place. I’m not sure it does much else...

5. TrinidadLR4

I used that high tack adhesive in AB's video but I may have missed a spot or messed it up somehow. Do you know if you have to follow the tightening sequence with this pan/gasket?

6. scott schmerge

I did. You just want it to all be uniform and alternating sides (think north east south west) and rotate around until finger tight. Then torque to spec following same sequence

7. douglastic

douglastic Full Access Member

8. bbyer

bbyer Full Access Member

Did you use the shorter machine screws?

The metal pan kit should have included shorter Torx M6 x 22.5 screws along with the metal pan. If you reused the longer screws M6x 28.5 that are associated with the plastic pan, then yes, you will have a "can't get it to seal" concern at the least.

You may wish to review a few of the files in the link below. I see one pdf related to the filter pan changeover now has over five thousand views. The files are specific to the ZF 6HP26 tranny on the LR3; the tranny on the LR4 is about the same and it appears you may not be the first owner to have run into a few concerns with the pan changeover.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5059

9. gsxr

gsxr Full Access Member

Note about using adhesive... only use this between pan and gasket. Scraping goop off the transmission flange is not fun. Another option is using sealant like Permatex "Right Stuff", with a THIN bead between pan and gasket.