Michilin, Goodyear or Nokian? (19")

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll need tires in a few months and wanted to revisit my options and tell you what I'm thinking. I've read all the tire threads here over the years and have been driving an LR3/LR4 since 2005...

First, I primarily do sand driving for my offroad needs and have finally figured out that I don't need much tread for sand. If I drop the tire pressure below 20 I seem to be able to get trough anything fine. If anything, less tread may be better as I float more than dig.

I do, however, want better tracking for snow. We don't get a ton of snow in the MD/PA area where I drive, but I storm chase for snow sports and I have not been happy with how some of my minimal treaded tires have performed. Something a little more aggressive would be nice. I don't know if it's worth a significant impact to road noise or gas mileage since I'm mainly highway, though.

So, I'm between the following 3 tires, in no particular order, but am open to suggestions;

Michilin Latitude Tour HP ($284 MSRP)- I have had zero issues with my LR3/LR4 Michilins. They last long, they run smooth. I am not crazy with their snow traction, though. It is very much of a road tread. Not on tirerack currently, for some reason, I'll price shop them.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac ($249) - I want to seriously consider these based on @nymoto 's recommendation. They look great on the truck and he reports "quiet on the road and handles everything I have thrown at them." Tirerack is no longer listing them, but I saw them on Walmart's site.

Nokian WRG3 SUV ($185) - I sold my LR3 shortly after I put these on, so I never got to really test them in off road conditions. There were fine on road, if not slightly more noise than my Michilins. Not a tread noise, kind of a lumpy tire noise. Subtle. My mechanic noticed it more than I did.
In any case, I've heard nothing but good things about the Nokians and was considering trying them again. They were priced low when I got them a couple years ago, and still are. I like a deal as much as the next guy, but it seems odd that a high quality import tire is still selling for significantly less than my other options. ?

I'll say that years ago when I got my LR3, the Goodyear's LR put on it were awful. Didn't wear well and the nylon belts made for a lumpy drive if they'd been sitting for a while.

Appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks!

kdegLR4

Reaction score
I've been really happy with my Continental TerrainContact A/Ts (255/55 19). Good traction, comfortable ride and minimal noise.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if snow is a priority get the nokians, no question about it. if snow is random then id go with michelin premier LTX...theyre solid enough in the snow. latitudes are terrible.

i run nokians wr on our lr4 as its our daily driver in the wintery northeast. i run premier LTX on my escalade which doesnt get used as much as the lr4 in the winter. on the full size RR SC i have blizzaks and theyre terrible. Going to get nokian hakkas for that car.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with your sand driving thoughts based on my experience. My Cooper Zeons were prone to dig more than float when new. Now that they are about 80% worn they work great in sand but are way too noisy on pavement. I'm going to get a less aggressive tire for sand.

I think the Nokian WRG3 SUV will be perfect for you. I run dedicated Nokian winter tires and they are fantastic for weekend trips to Vermont. But in MD/PA the WRG3 is a perfect compromise.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Duratracs (if even available at this point) are not really all that great in the snow and they get significantly louder as they wear. My wife has had more winter slippage with the Duratracs on her RR than I have had with my LR3 running General Grabbers or Wildpeak AT3W's (neither available in the 19" size unfortunately). If going 19" I would probably opt for the TerrainContact or Nokians myself. LTX would be very good too if you are ok going up to 31" tires (255/60/19).

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to buy tires in the next couple weeks too. Nokians in the lead at the moment. Simple tire has them for $178 at the moment, never used them before though.

Douglas225

Reaction score
I am in sand and mud only. Lots of hwy travel. Since purchasing lr4, i have put over 10,000 miles in just a few months. I have had duratracs nearly the entire time and love them...so far so good.

I, personally, find them to wear most even when at lr factory psi recs, unless loaded down. I have tried at varying air levels, using diff tests.

I have no other experience w others you mention. Good luck and keep us posted.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if snow is a priority get the nokians, no question about it. if snow is random then id go with michelin premier LTX...theyre solid enough in the snow. latitudes are terrible.

i run nokians wr on our lr4 as its our daily driver in the wintery northeast. i run premier LTX on my escalade which doesnt get used as much as the lr4 in the winter. on the full size RR SC i have blizzaks and theyre terrible. Going to get nokian hakkas for that car.

Good input. For some reason only the Latitudes were coming up in my search. I'll look at the Premier and the Defender ktm mentions below.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S

The Duratracs (if even available at this point) are not really all that great in the snow and they get significantly louder as they wear. My wife has had more winter slippage with the Duratracs on her RR than I have had with my LR3 running General Grabbers or Wildpeak AT3W's (neither available in the 19" size unfortunately). If going 19" I would probably opt for the TerrainContact or Nokians myself. LTX would be very good too if you are ok going up to 31" tires (255/60/19).
General Grabbers! That was another one I almost put on the list (my mechanic likes them), but I saw them listed as a summer tire so I wasn't sure how they'd do in winter. They were coming up for about the same cost as the Nokians. So, a good bit cheaper than Michelins, but on par with other tires I'm finding.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might have meant defender. Not sure where I got premier from. Drawing a blank

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72