Mileage vs. Age

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obsteve

Reaction score
I'm close to purchasing a 2005-2007 LR3 and have a question that has me scratching my head; Which would you favor for purchase (all other things being equal) an older -2005- with fewer miles -~35K-, or a newer -2007- with more miles -~55K-? What are the advantages/disadvantages to each?

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no empirical data to back up my opinion, but i always look for an older vehicle with low miles, that has been kept in a garage. For example, my LR3 is a 2006 with 25k miles and my commuter car is a little 1999 subaru impreza with 55k miles. Of course, if you're buying a newer car you'll want to consider when the warranty expires, too. For example, I bought my 2006 LR3 last summer because I was a bit nervous buying a Land Rover for the first time and wanted to have a warranty for as long as I could.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 2005, but from what I've heard go 2006 or later

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting question, I just went through the exact same proposition 2 months ago. I ended up with and 06 SE 4.0L with 34K miles which I purchased for $21,900. As with you, the key factor with me was at least 1 year of factory bumper to bumper warranty. This was a must. Generally, I always look for slightly older model years with lower mileage. They seem to me to be a better value proposition. One factor is how long do you plan on keeping the vehicle? If you plan on keeping it for the long run, the model year won't really have any impact in terms of resale value.

obsteve

Reaction score
I have an 2005, but from what I've heard go 2006 or later
Thanks for the initial feedback. A couple of questions; 1) were there significant bugs worked out in the '05 to '06 transition and 2) how does the warranty work? is it 4yr/50K whichever comes last? or is the '06 and older automatically out of the warranty period?
BTW; i would be keeping the car long term, wouldn't be putting many miles on it annually and would be towing / off-roading with it.

obsteve

Reaction score
Thanks for the initial reply's. A couple of questions; 1) Were there any significant improvements between the '05 and subsequent years? 2) How does the warranty work? Is it 4yr/50K whichever comes first? If so the '06 and older (in '10) would be out of warranty automatically? does a car with 30K on the odo have 20K left?
Maybe what I'm wrestling with is the wear and tear vs. evolutionary improvements during subsequent model years...

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go newer, 05's and some 06's had issues which have now been resolved.

obsteve

Reaction score
Can you elaborate? My sense would be that they would gradually refine the model, but I've not seen where exactly the improvement is.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go newer, 05's and some 06's had issues which have now been resolved.

It doesn't really matter on the year. All the problems should have been solved by now. (Mostly just software/programming anyway). My 05 is great and hasn't had anything more then minor wear and tear. Warrenty is which ever is reached first 4yr or 50k so your first two options are already off warrenty. Some of the early 05's weren't fitted with all the options though so that is something to consider.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '05 is great NOW but only after the painstaking work to get all the fixes.

If I had the choice right now I'd get an '07 or newer. However if you found a great deal on an '05 go for it, just make sure the fixes are in.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA