Most fun I've had driving int he snow in a while

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 (with Nokian R2 SUV's) is just ridiculous. Goes up steep slippery hills that stranded many cars without even turning on the traction control. Clears (more like flattens) 1-2' snowbanks with no drama. Hit the gas from a stop over 8-10" areas left by snow plows and after a second of some controlled traction work, it just goes about its business undisturbed. I was going out of my way to find crazy spots to test the car. Incredible. The kids loved it.

I love this thing.:cool:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great to hear, but I reckon the superb winter tires you put on are by far the main reason why you are having so much fun. Although the 4x4 system and traction control wizardry of our cars all help as well I am sure, your experience is a great endorsement for the Nokians. :smile: I have been on the snow many times with my RRS first and recently with the LR4. With all-terrain tires instead of dedicated winters, while I never felt out of control or in danger I didn't have much fun, either...

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 (with Nokian R2 SUV's) is just ridiculous. Goes up steep slippery hills that stranded many cars without even turning on the traction control. Clears (more like flattens) 1-2' snowbanks with no drama. Hit the gas from a stop over 8-10" areas left by snow plows and after a second of some controlled traction work, it just goes about its business undisturbed. I was going out of my way to find crazy spots to test the car. Incredible. The kids loved it.

I love this thing.:cool:
This is why I kept my 19" OEM rims, as if I move back to MA/NH, I plan on getting a set of dedicated snow tires. Sounds like fun!

My parents were just telling me how much snow they are getting right now in Shrewsbury. Another storm headed your way as well.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spend the day driving around (guess you get snow days when you work for a school).

Some parts actually required snow mode and some didn't.

So happy that I put on the Hankook AT tires on (they're known for bring great in snow and on ice). Drove everywhere without problems, found a power line easement road with over 2 feet of snow, dialed the TR to snow and went through it... It almost felt too easy.

Pretty amazed by the truck and the tires. Ready for more snow :)

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great to hear, but I reckon the superb winter tires you put on are by far the main reason why you are having so much fun. Although the 4x4 system and traction control wizardry of our cars all help as well I am sure, your experience is a great endorsement for the Nokians. :smile: I have been on the snow many times with my RRS first and recently with the LR4. With all-terrain tires instead of dedicated winters, while I never felt out of control or in danger I didn't have much fun, either...

No doubt. I drove the car on snow with OEM tires on up until today an it was very good in terms of the AWD, but breaking and turning were less than ideal. That was all fixed with the hakkas and the traction was just comically good with my foot on the gas.

Raised the car for fun to go over the ~30" snow bank the plow left in front of my driveway - no sweat. The LR4 left a 3-4" rock-solid layer of packed snow after it drove over the 10" of new snow.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are making me cry. I am still stuck with my '14 MDX and on the way to the airport this morning in -15 degree weather (Denver) the windshield washers would not work. Not much snow but there were accidents all over the place due to ice. Anyway, next winter I'll be in an LR4 - with the hearted windshield (no more questions on the value of that) - and I'll definitely put some good snow tires on it.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I kept my 19" OEM rims, as if I move back to MA/NH, I plan on getting a set of dedicated snow tires. Sounds like fun!

My parents were just telling me how much snow they are getting right now in Shrewsbury. Another storm headed your way as well.

Any chances you will attend Winter Romp in Maine this year?... or anybody else for that matter?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Winter Romp sounds like fun but I don't have any underbody protection...

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I spent about 4 hours driving back to Boston from skiing with my kids at Cannon Mountain in NH. Started out in about a foot of snow, followed by packed snow and ice, then very slippery slush and finally invisible black ice for the last half hour. Snow mode and Nokian R2 SUV winter tires made the trip trough difficult conditions very safe and stress-free. This is the ultimate vehicle for winter travel.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I spent about 4 hours driving back to Boston from skiing with my kids at Cannon Mountain in NH. Started out in about a foot of snow, followed by packed snow and ice, then very slippery slush and finally invisible black ice for the last half hour. Snow mode and Nokian R2 SUV winter tires made the trip trough difficult conditions very safe and stress-free. This is the ultimate vehicle for winter travel.

Yup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut