Move on or Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nkta

Reaction score
Hello,

I would love to get your collective opinion on my beloved 2005 LR3. It's now at 170,000 miles with a jerky transmission and dead fuel gauge along with some smaller DIY issues. It's going to be around a $7000 repair bill for transmission and installed new fuel sender units. The truck is obviously worth less- around $5-6K. But structurally and interior wise, it's still pretty good. Will need new tires in a year for $1500, maybe new air compressor for struts in a year or two. Aside from the brakes, anything else that I should be concerned about?
Will the engine last to 250K? or a rebuilt is in the foreseeable future?

Should I look for a newish Discovery or fix this one? Am I being sentimental and not wanting to move on from a truck that has served me well? Thanks.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.....this is a tough one.

If by "new'ish Discovery" you mean an LR4 then I'd say no, unless you find a real gem with a known service history. If you like the design of the Discovery 5, there is that option.

Otherwise, I think fixing it is reasonable. I would look more at what the LR3 is worth to you rather than what it's worth to Kelly and his (blue) book. Will the engine go 250k? I believe it will if it is maintained properly. Only engine issues I've heard about are with ones that have been run out of oil or overheated.

Have you tried other things with the tranny? swapping fluid? Checking for issues with shifting linkages and/or mechatronics sleeve?

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 220k plus on my '06 and it still runs strong although some days I can hear what I assume are the cam adjusters having a party. I bought mine with 170k and believe everything as far as engine and transmission are original. I was so frustrated with it two weeks ago that I put it on Craigs list but got over it and buckled down on diagnosing a suspension fault and it turned out to be either a height sensor or a height sensor connection. Replacing the sensor seems to have fixed the issue, and I'm thrilled to be back on the road. I agree I would try a repair. Also if you watch sales on tires you can get hundreds off and cash back especially from Goodyear, I have like $800 in a set of 5 I put on my 3 a couple of years ago. Also on the compressor a rebuild kit is less than replacing it and I just successfully rebuilt mine as part of the suspension diagnosis and it took about half an hour.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would argue it is worth less than 5-6K on the open market with the present issues you mentioned. It is probably worth 5K after those items are fixed. I think my 08 LR3 with 160,000 miles (and no current issues) would be garner 5K when the deal is actually signed, if I actually tried to sell it privately.

That aside, only you can answer whether it is worth putting that kind of money into it or not. Mine feels very solid still, but at 10+ years old, things like seals and gaskets and hoses all start to need replacement (some I a have already replaced). I am not sure I would dump another $8500 into it unless I planned to keep it for several years - which it sounds like you are prepared to do.

For 10k or so you could pickup a 2008-2009 LR3 with 120,000 miles +/- but there is definately some peace of mind about knowing everything that has been done or not done to your current vehicle. You are always buying someone else's problems when you buy used, so, I guess I am not being very helpful since there is not any right or wrong answer!

Last edited:

Nick Schoeps

Reaction score
The guys at Columbia Rovers here in Portland all still swear by LR3s (for sure over LR4s) and are getting closer to the 300k mark on some of their vehicles.

If I were in your shoes it would be a tough call, one of the things I value with my LR3 is that I know what has been done and what feels solid. It also doesn't look older than 7 years even though it's a 2005 - so the condition of the paint and interior are important there too. If I found a gem of a 2009 LR3 with all the right features and I was in your shoes . . . I might go for it . . . otherwise fix and love.

Good luck, let us know what you decide!

publikdj

Reaction score
I have 220k plus on my '06 and it still runs strong although some days I can hear what I assume are the cam adjusters having a party. I bought mine with 170k and believe everything as far as engine and transmission are original. I was so frustrated with it two weeks ago that I put it on Craigs list but got over it and buckled down on diagnosing a suspension fault and it turned out to be either a height sensor or a height sensor connection. Replacing the sensor seems to have fixed the issue, and I'm thrilled to be back on the road. I agree I would try a repair. Also if you watch sales on tires you can get hundreds off and cash back especially from Goodyear, I have like $800 in a set of 5 I put on my 3 a couple of years ago. Also on the compressor a rebuild kit is less than replacing it and I just successfully rebuilt mine as part of the suspension diagnosis and it took about half an hour.
How did you diagnose the faulty suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I would love to get your collective opinion on my beloved 2005 LR3. It's now at 170,000 miles with a jerky transmission and dead fuel gauge along with some smaller DIY issues. It's going to be around a $7000 repair bill for transmission and installed new fuel sender units. The truck is obviously worth less- around $5-6K. But structurally and interior wise, it's still pretty good. Will need new tires in a year for $1500, maybe new air compressor for struts in a year or two. Aside from the brakes, anything else that I should be concerned about?
Will the engine last to 250K? or a rebuilt is in the foreseeable future?

Should I look for a newish Discovery or fix this one? Am I being sentimental and not wanting to move on from a truck that has served me well? Thanks.

so where are you located? maybe you just need a better shop/second opinion.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Publikdj I had the red suspension light coming on intermittently which would drop the truck to the bump stops. This happened after I had new upper control arms installed. I read that you need to re calibrate after suspension work so I hooked up the nanocom and ran the routine which improved the distance between errors but I still got errors. Also the right front showed 17 and all other 3 sensors showed 1 so I ordered a new sensor and installed it, re calibrated, and I've been 7 days with no errors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut