My '13 let's me start without the key fob and drive far away...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...this is a problem. Is this by design?

So, here is the scenario. I keep my keys hanging in the garage, because, well, you can't leave them in the car. I haven't figured out if this is after I've recently unlocked the car with the key FOB button or not, (I think so) but today I loaded some kayaks on the car and drove halfway to the river (15 minutes into a 30 minute drive). Stopped for gas and realized, "crap, no keys!"

I didn't turn off the car because I wasn't sure if it would start again. There was no warning on the display.

There are plenty of times I get in the car and receive the "no key detected" warning.
However, plenty of other times I can start and drive away.

I usually have a spare key in the car in a shielded case, but didn't have one today. So it required a drive back home.

Curious if anyone's LR4 here does this as well?

Last edited:

Bogwhoppit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 also does this. It was a close call. I was in the next town on my way to the hardware store, and I decided to nip in the car wash. Thank the lord, as I waited in line hunting for my wallet, I realized I didn't have the bloody key! I promptly got out of line and drove home.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep getting the key not detected message and it also doesn't want to lock for me half the time. I push the button and "BEEP BEEP!" ... then I step literally 6" closer, or lean into the side a bit more.. and it works.

I've changed the battery in the fob.. i dont get it. I have wondered if having it near my Infiniti key is messing with it.. need to test that theory.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep getting the key not detected message and it also doesn't want to lock for me half the time. I push the button and "BEEP BEEP!" ... then I step literally 6" closer, or lean into the side a bit more.. and it works.

I've changed the battery in the fob.. i dont get it. I have wondered if having it near my Infiniti key is messing with it.. need to test that theory.

If you keep your key fob in the same pocket as you cell phone, I find the exact same behavior. Cell RF interference, basically. I imagine a fob and phone in a purse would do the same. I now keep my phone in my left pocket and key fob in my right pocket. It happens far less frequently.

It's quite feasible the Infinity fob and LR fob are interfering with one another.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the key not detected message if it's not on me.
Try this some time, just to see if it's a "feature" I'm not aware of.

Unlock your LR4 by pushing the button on the key fob. Then leave your keys outside your car. Start it up and go for a drive....

Be curious to see if everyone can do that. Unfortunately, I can.o_O

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I do hope the next time I'm at the dealer they have a fix for this. I can't tell you how many times I have driven away without the keys!!!

Luckily, I found my spare key that I keep in the car in a faraday shield bag. That gives me an "out" if I find myself far from home with no way to lock the car...

I know, seems absent minded, but when my truck is loaded up for an adventure it won't fit in the garage. So I keep the keys hanging on a hook. I'll hit the button to unlock as I'm packing things up, and sometimes, I don't remember to grab the keys when it is time to go.

This ONLY happens when I unlock with the button on the remote. If I walk up with my keys in my pocket to unlock the car, the truck will not start if I happen to return without the keys. Such an odd bug...

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to me running errands with the wife. She had keys in her purse, I had none. Dropped her off at the grocery store while I went to go get gas.

I remember wondering what the red "!" was about this time.. I thought shutting it down might make it go away.. It went away all right..

-The wiser now

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72