My dash lit up like a christmas tree after driving in snow.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kerrie

Reaction score
Hey all. So, I have about a mile of dirt road to drive on to get to the house. Last night we got several inches of snow that hadn't been plowed. When I drive through deepish snow, my dash lights up with all the warnings, HDC out, special programs out, parking brake out, stability control out, and air suspension lowered for stability..... I'm guessing that may be from snow build up? The warnings go out after I drive for a bit on plowed roads. But now my engine/transmission light is on, it's steady on? I live 4 hours away from a service center or anyone that really works on LR's. No rough idle, battery seems fine for starting. Any ideas?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you really need to pull the error codes. chances are there is 1 or 2 that caused a downward spiral for all the others.

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, get yourself a GAP tool if you don't already have one. Especially since you live so far from an authorized LR repair place. You will be able to pull codes, reprogram the car, etc.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea if this would help, but you may be able to disconnect your battery to try and reset your check engine light.

IID tool is the way to go though. I’m sure nothings wrong you probably just had water get somewhere that it shouldn’t have. I set off a TPMS failure after driving through a huge puddle... at speed... went away a few days later.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple inches? Nope that is not the problem. I have been driving in a couple feet of snow over the last few weeks and nothing. I put my money on fading battery and/or brake switch but like others have said a code read is the way to go.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have any idea how old your battery is?

Kerrie

Reaction score
Advanced Auto had a code reader. It pulled code C0037 (ABS sensor fault). Is this an easy fix at home? The parts guy said I just need to find out if it's an aluminum or rubber valve and they have the part.

I believe the battery is probably 5 years old (I'll check when I walk over to the garage), so I'm probably due for a battery soon.

And yeah, I was grasping at straws with the snow amount! LOL. I've driven through feet of snow too and never had a problem till recently.

Guess I should have asked for a GAP tool for Christmas!!!

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advanced Auto had a code reader. It pulled code C0037 (ABS sensor fault). Is this an easy fix at home? The parts guy said I just need to find out if it's an aluminum or rubber valve and they have the part.

I believe the battery is probably 5 years old (I'll check when I walk over to the garage), so I'm probably due for a battery soon.

And yeah, I was grasping at straws with the snow amount! LOL. I've driven through feet of snow too and never had a problem till recently.

there is no doubt in my mind that a ABS fault would cause all those warnings. an ABS wheel speed sensor could also easily be damaged with packed snow or an ice chunk flew up into the wheel well.
no idea what metal or rubber they would be referring to, but there is a different part for front and rear. you should poke around and see which sensor appears to be damaged. however buying 1 of each for only $40 total woudlnt be too costly of an endeavor.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/Land-Rover-parts/LR4/ABS/?year=2012&m=2216&e=3842&t=5&b=11&v=31

that said, the generic advance auto code reader is crap and i wouldn't trust it. for example...i dont understand how having an ABS error would allow all lights except the engine/trans light to be off.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If your battery is 5 years old (it should have a date code on it), then you are about 1 to 2 years beyond the average lifespan of an LR4 battery. If it's still the original battery, then you're 2 to 3 years beyond the average lifespan.

That said, the ABS sensor could very well be your culprit.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty confident it’s your battery. I’d say get a new battery and let the codes clear and then drive till you have another problem. I fine the ABS module tend to throw weird codes on my car. The car still behaves fine and no lights on the dash but I tend to get faults like this a lot. What’s everyone’s thoughts?

FF892319-8392-407C-80E5-11A159B22D76.png

A9EF3A52-FA14-4C24-9E71-6AA851BB21EC.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72