Need a clear Off-Road tire option answer for 2011 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mize

Reaction score
I have owned my LR4 for 2 years and by far is my favorite vehicle ever. I have owned Jeeps, Broncos, BMW's, Landcruiser, etc. but this is the ****! I have Johnson rods to use for serious off-roading and have Goodyear Duratracs on original Land Rover 19in wheels. I am very frustrated that the Duratracs have much weaker off-road tread depth and sidewalls in this size. Every time I see a Duratracs in an 18 in or smaller I like the more aggressive tread but when I put them on the 19s they are very different. I don’t understand how they can call them the same tire. Can someone give me a clear straight answer on what rim and tire combination is the best aggressive off-road combination without sacrificing the on-road ride, noise, or height adjustability too much. I know this is a well talked about topic but still confused on the best solution to fix the only issue with my LR4. Thank you all in advance.
clip_image001.png
:)

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18" compomotive wheels with 265/65/18 tires of your choice.

Lose the Johnson rods.

Shredahead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Compo's. I was frustrated enough with the 19" wheels and poor tire options. Pulled the trigger on 5 Compomotive's and Toyo Open Country AT's. First off ride on them yesterday and all good! It's a pricey endeavor but you'll be happy you did it. Now to just sell my 19's and tires. This site will not let me post a classified, ***?

IMG_3435.jpg

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18" compomotive wheels with 265/65/18 tires of your choice.

Lose the Johnson rods.

With the advice of this forum, I'm running this combo as well with BFG T/A KO's, I've not been disappointed.

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings gents, I’m a long time lurker on the site and find the info very useful. This sounds like the most popular combination though from what I’ve read, some do still experience some minor rubbing... My question is what’s the best way to mount a fully inflated spare with a diameter from 31 and above? I’m currently on the stock 19 with the 255/ 55 and would like to ultimately get a 32 inch diameter tire on my lr4. It seems as if 31 is the max without some decent cuts and alterations. To the wheel well, and the spare is yet another challenge...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of 265/65/18 tires rubbing. It's the known limit for size if you are worried about the suspension ever faulting and dropping to the bump stops. It will rub then but still be drivable.

For the spare, people deflate the tire so that it will fit in the stock location. Carry a portable air compressor, which stows nicely in the deadspace between and under the 2nd and 3rd row seats.

Ken Verheyen

Reaction score
I ordered 5 Compomotives. I’m going with A/T KO2’s. Now the big question... do I go 275/75 R18 or 265/65 R18?

I have the Johnson rods but have not put them on yet. Love the clearance of the 275/75’s but don’t want top heavy and sway from the lift.

Suggestions and experiences?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 275/75 would be too big, in my opinion. Especially if you go off road. Will almost definitely rub when you turn, and if your suspension ever faults and drops to the bump stops, you aren't going anywhere.

Regarding the Johnson Rods, the limitations of tire size on an LR4 aren't really ride height. It's hitting frame horns when you turn; a problem that's actually exacerbated by "lifting" the vehicle. By the time you would actually need greater ride height to fit tires, you've gone past a whole host of other problems caused by bigger tires.

Red Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Compo's. I was frustrated enough with the 19" wheels and poor tire options. Pulled the trigger on 5 Compomotive's and Toyo Open Country AT's. First off ride on them yesterday and all good! It's a pricey endeavor but you'll be happy you did it. Now to just sell my 19's and tires. This site will not let me post a classified, ***?

IMG_3435.jpg

Shred - just sent you a PM. Also....

I had this exact same problem when I was trying to respond to a classified ad about a year ago (Actually, it was to buy Ryanjl's 18" LR3 wheels!) and was told by a staff member that you need 50 replies before you can post a response to a classified ad. That seems a little odd and counterproductive to the whole idea of buying and selling freely through this site. Perhaps a change is in order....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA