Need a honest opinion. Which car i should pick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

Audisport

I have a 2002 x5 and i want to trade it in with a new car since its giving me problems.

Having test drived the touareg im pretty impressed with it. The seats are comfortable, drive is smooth without feeling bumpy and the specs of the car is pretty good. Im surprised VW has a high end car like the touareg. Other vw's have not been good. Although, having read one of the reviews of the touareg as "poor man's porsche" made me laugh a bit lol.

However another option i have for a similar price is the Land Rover LR3. I really like the new look of the new lr3. Since the gas consumption is similar and price is similar, which one would you rather get? The Touareg or LR3??

Your input is appreciated

D

discoinjapan

I was wandering if you know this is a Land Rover site. What kind of answer would you expect. LR3

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would get the LR3. But then again I just can't picture the VW doing the Amazon.

A

Audisport

discoinjapan said:
I was wandering if you know this is a Land Rover site. What kind of answer would you expect. LR3

nah i meant in terms of reliability, quality,comfort overrall... I wasn't looking for a biased answer with no particular reason...

which one is a better value for the money..... Does anyone own an LR3. What does it feel driving one? is it rugged and heavy acceleration??? and are the seats comfortable for the LR3??

And are the rumors about LR's being lemons true??

thanks for the input:)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have yet to drive the LR3 myself, but if I was to look at these two models, I would drive them both.... Any Land Rover dealer will let you test drive.

You should also look at cost of ownership... do they offer free oil changes (I know LR does). How long is the factory warrenty.

Insurance costs between the two? Repair cost for non-warrenty items... Tires, Wiper blades, brakes.

Scheduled maintenance not covered under factory warrenty.

You have to look at the whole picture.

As far as LR being lemons, I think you will find all manufactures have lemons, you just have to remember that the minority seems to yell louder than the majority.

D

daytomann

We test drove an LR3 this past weekend. It drove great and we fell in love! It has good accelleration for an SUV...this is no sports or muscle car but it scoots none the less.
From what I've read in back to back comparos, the touareg and LR3 are like cousins....Similar but different. They are both alot more TECHY than the others in their group and they both have similar on road performance. The LR3 edges out the VW in the Techno department and is much more capable when the off roading gets real serious. My guess is that youre splitting hairs if you try to compare their on road performance.
Every vehicle model and make has its issues.This is evident with your BMW. A good friend of mine has an X5 and has not had a single complaint in 2 and a half years of ownership. In these cases, the minority people with problems are always heard over the people without problems. Often vehicles with a lower production and sales volume have the appearance of being more problematic due to the fact that there is not a huge number of them on the road. I found the same thing when I researched my motorcycles (Triumph) and boat (Nautique). What was the common denominator between all these vehicles? they are all "high end" and "exclusive" vehicles. None are mass produced and theres no sticker on any of then that says "made in a hurry".

If you are seriously concerned about reliability and want something that is very likely not to give you problems, at least untill after 100K miles. Then go look at the Big 3...buy an Explorer, Expedition, Yukon, Burb, Durango, Wrangler, etc, etc. But we all know why youre not looking at those boring, dime a dozen vehicles...;)

D

daytomann

Oh, which one is a better value for the money? From what I gather..IMHO, I'd say the LR3.

Good luck to you!

D

daytomann

LOL I wish there was an edit feature on this board..someone help me if I'm missing it.

Just to add one thing....go drive one, Then buy whichever one trips your trigger the most, That will probably be your biggest buying decision.

D

discoinjapan

Hey I was just being funny, no hard feelings.
Are you planning to ride off road at all. If so I would definitely suggest the LR3. I have driven the LR3 off road quite a few times and it is above par(except for the clearance I bellied out once). I have yet to drive it on the highway but Im sure it handles great.
No expierence with the VW but Ive read that its terrible off road but handles real well on the highway. Also to be quite honest I like the sporty look of the VW. But I would buy the LR3.
I hope Ive been some help to you on your decision, and let us know what you decide.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72