Need help diagnosing strange noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 65k miles on my LR4 and I've got a tough issue to diagnose. I have an intermittent noise coming from what sounds like the front axle. Here's the really weird part; it seems to move around a bit. For example, there was a period when I would park in my driveway and when I reversed it would almost sound like nails on a chalkboard; it was like something was dragging on the brakes AND sometimes I would hear a clunk from under my feet

I was coming due for brakes so I changed both front and rear. It seemed better for a bit but then came back. After trying to narrow things down a bit I changed the LCAs...actually I asked my indy to change the uppers and lowers and he just changed the lowers for some reason. In any case it really now sounds like a bearing. I can hear a wub-wub-wub and feel some slight friction-induced noise when a side load is introduced on a right-hand curve..but again, it's not all the time. Then this evening I was coming around an Interstate exit ramp and I heard and felt a clunk (just one) come from under the floor again. It's really driving me crazy; it's been mostly perfect for the last 6+ and my indy isn't really sure what it could be since he only heard it once and then it didn't come back for him.

Worst case, I have an extended warranty and I could bring it back to the dealer but I feel like it will take them a while to figure it out or tell me it feels normal and waste a month. Or that wear-items are not covered..and I will probably get it back with 8 miles to empty like when they replaced and "recalibrated" a new battery.

So frustrating. Any ideas are much appreciated!

Tom

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel bearings? Not sure why it would clunk though...

I had one that was almost fully seized on the front, making no noise though. The wheel bearing also had no play in it. Just started making noise that sounded like a diff going out.

I also had the dealer replace a rear wheel bearing around your mileage when I was still under warranty.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will2nd wheel bearings. Get it up on a hoist running in gear with ye old stethoscope on each hub. That usually will tell you if you have a bad bearing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA