Need Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdx

Reaction score
I am seriously considering a purchase for a new Land Rover LR4 HSE with 7 seat comfort pkg.

Here are my misgivings. I live about 170 miles away from the dealer, and with the reliability history, ( I know it is highly debated in the community) as well as the oil change needing to be a siphoned oil change, will I be constantly in need of returning to the dealer? I was assured by the salesperson that most if not all major ASE certified service center could handle the oil change, I am just not sold on his information.

Any opinions on my situation from experienced land rover enthusiasts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott,

I have had no issues to speak of after 3000 miles.

As far as the oil changes go, its every 15000 miles or one year whichever comes first as per land rover. So i would say that really shouldn't be an issue for you since its once a year.

That being said, its still a 3 hr ride for you and i could see how it would be a real pain should little BS things pop up. So far so good here for what its worth.

john

scottdx

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! The salesperson did not even know about the siphoning situation, so for what it is worth he stated that it should be changed every 7500 miles, was this information not accurate? Thanks

scottdx

Reaction score
I was quoted 52k + TTL & Fees, does this seem reasonable? According to edmunds its slightly under TMV. Anyone want to share their purchase experience? Thanks!

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HSE /7 seater i think list for 52900.00? I had quotes from 1500-2500 off the list.
You should be able to get at least 1500 off imo.

Good luck!!

john

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an LR3, love it, and will definitely look to buy another Land Rover vehicle after this one. However, I would never buy one if I lived over an hour from a dealership, let alone 3. At a minimum, now that I feel all the kinks are worked out, I'm in there every 7500K for the scheduled service, which usually involves a couple minor extended warranty items. I was probably in there every 3250 (once between each scheduled service) for the first 50K. It certainly became less over time and now most nitpick things, covered by my extended warranty, can wait until 7500.

Some of these were nitpick things that I didn't mind bringing it in for because I had a free loaner and was relatively close. But, a lot of them were error codes that prevented functionality or outright failures that had to be addressed. The truck never left me stranded in need of a tow, but I've always felt a certain tether to my dealership.

I'll have to ask if the dealership keeps a record of how many service visits I have had. It would be interesting to divide my mileage by number of visits and get a factual answer.

The LR4 may be different, and if you have friends/family/work where your dealership is located that 170 mile drive may not be an issue for you. Heck, I guess it depends how bad you want the vehicle! :)

I do hope you buy, it is a great ride, just giving you my viewpoint. YMMV

In the interest of everything being negotiable, see what you can get worked into the deal in lieu of your distance to the dealership. I have heard of BMW dealerships bringing the loaner car to you and picking up your vehicle. You'll be spending over $50K with them...EVERYTHING is negotiable. See how bad they want the sale.

scottdx

Reaction score
Todd,

Thanks for your reply, even though it is making me more leery about my possible purchase.

When you talk about "nitpick" type of things, could you clarify those? Is it something that can be lived with for a week or two?

With my current situation I see being able to go to the dealer 3-5 times a year without any unexpected problems at all. If this is a ridiculously low number of trips to the dealer, I probably need to look in another direction.

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott, i would say nitpicking things would be something that bugs the crap out of you, but doesn't effect operation of the vehicle... ie A rattle etc,

Also, you should check with the dealer on how the LR roadside assistance would work for you in case it breaks down.

I think this is a tough call for anyone but you to make.

scottdx

Reaction score
Your right Rover, I am still leaning towards the purchase.

Any and all information is still very very helpful.

Would I also be assuming too much in thinking this is a more refined version of the LR3, and that many of the issues in the LR3 have been addressed with the LR4? Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV