Need some help/advice on my washer fluid pump...I think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noticed my washer fluid stopped working the other day. We had a flash of cold weather (0F) recently and at first I thought the reservoir might have frozen on me as the car sits in an unheated garage. Perhaps someone added water without my knowledge but then I noticed I can't even hear the pump running so I suspect the pump may have died. No noise, no nothing. So then I started with the obvious and checked the 15A fuses (position 38 for the front screen washer and position 43 for the rear screen washer) behind the lower glove box and both were fine.

So, my questions are these:
Are those even the fuses for the washer pump?
Are there two washer pumps?
Is there instead an underhood relay that covers both the pumps, assuming there are two pumps? Seems too coincidental they both went out.
Is the only way to get to the reservoir and I assume the pump location by removing the bumper?

I'm just trying to exhaust any self-diagnosis I can do that would prevent me from having to go to the dealer. I do have an IID scanner but just purchased it and wouldn't know where to start with it quite yet. Knowing my luck I'd probably screw something else up! Thanks guys!

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Any chance it was frozen solid inside the pump and you just can't hear anything because the pump is locked?

I checked the shop manuals for 2013-2016, not terribly helpful.

There is one pump, two hoses. Get to it by removing the drivers side fender liner.

I have a wiring schematic for the 2016. VIN beginning at 524545. VIN 551545-596987 is the same. I have attached the related bit
Capture.JPG
below.

Last edited:

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any chance it was frozen solid inside the pump and you just can't hear anything because the pump is locked?

I checked the shop manuals for 2013-2016, not terribly helpful.

There is one pump, two hoses. Get to it by removing the drivers side fender liner.

I have a wiring schematic for the 2016. VIN beginning at 524545. VIN 551545-596987 is the same. I have attached the related bit View attachment 21546below.
Good question. I suppose anything is possible. I need to put the car in a warm garage for a day or two to make certain of it. The only common thread between both front and rear washer jets from an electronics perspective is the BCM (which I'm not sure what else that controls) or the pump itself. I have to figure out how to test each of them. Thanks for the schematics, it's a start!

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please update with results.

My daughter in Rochester NY just tried her washers and they are not working.
Even though I put in 0F fluid, which is fine for there, I wonder if the previous fluid had not been fully flushed out and might be frozen in the pump or the lines.
Concerned about damage due to the possible freeze...
I just ordered her some -25F fluid. When she tops it up maybe it will slowly work it's way through the system - like when we used to add Heet to a frozen fuel line - when I was young.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BCM on my truck **** the pump off when i added water in during the summer. I rarely used my windshield washers so i forgot about the water in there. Fast forward to winter I believe the mixture of water and windshield fluid got slushy in there. It didn't freeze solid to expand and damage the plastic tank or lines. However once it was all melted again it still would not work. I had to clear a BCM code for it to start working again.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, we shall see what happens when we get it defrosted.
I can't do that reset from across the country, might be a trip to the remote Rover Dealership - at least people seem to rate them highly.

OR actually, can I send her the IIDTool and do it from across the country on my phone?? Anyone know?? That would be cool!

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be able clear the code with a cheap generic reader. And she can just pair your iid with her phone I think. The iid can pair with other phones, just not other vehicles.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just going to ask that!
I can play with it here on the 2013 then send it to her and she can reset the required parameter on her 2016 as long as she can add the app to her phone.
(Yes, my IID is set up for both trucks.)

So, what is the exact parameter that needs to be reset for this situation?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the situation would be a DTC starting with a “B”. Some of the codes are protective - they seem to shut the circuit off until they are cleared. We’ve seen reports of that for the tailgate actuator in some instances, and from jlach993’s post above it seems like it might be the same deal on the widow washer pump. Just clear the code and the circuit should reset. If it comes right back, then there is maybe some component damage or other problem. If there is no code, then you’re back to square one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV