Need some help with an engine squeak/squeal...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just started today. Increases with the RPM's. Doesn't do it when the engine is cold, only warmed up. Pretty loud. Goes to almost non-existent when at idle and if I let the car sit for a half hour it will go away completely, but return.

So, it's not coming from the front of the engine so I've ruled out a belt or pulley and I don't know about the location of the supercharger but I suppose it could always be that. No loss of power I'm aware of. Seems to be coming more from the center of the engine and towards the left side (driver's side US car). I've included a video for you. It's uploading but should be ready soon. I can't seem to pinpoint it.

My guess is a water pump but I don't know about the reliability of them on LR's and I'm not even sure of the location. 68K miles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water pump is at the front of the engine. Supercharger sits on top of the engine and the pulley/snout is top front and just to the passenger side of center. Just about anything I can imaging squeaking like that is at the front of the engine - anything on a belt/pulley. How did you rule out the front of the engine - just based on the location of the sound?

Thinking about the drivers side and not in the front of the engine, the only other things I can think of offhand that could possibly “chirp” like that would be maybe a motor mount or maybe a manifold leak. I guess something in the valve train could start chirping if it wasn’t getting enough oil. You could use a mechanics stethescope or a long screwdriver held to your ear and against the valve covers to see if it gets louder.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water pump is at the front of the engine. Supercharger sits on top of the engine and the pulley/snout is top front and just to the passenger side of center. Just about anything I can imaging squeaking like that is at the front of the engine - anything on a belt/pulley. How did you rule out the front of the engine - just based on the location of the sound?

Thinking about the drivers side and not in the front of the engine, the only other things I can think of offhand that could possibly “chirp” like that would be maybe a motor mount or maybe a manifold leak. I guess something in the valve train could start chirping if it wasn’t getting enough oil. You could use a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver held to your ear and against the valve covers to see if it gets louder.
I do have a stethoscope so I should try that. Yes, it was just based on sound so nothing too scientific. Would there be any harm in temporarily using a belt lubricant to temporarily quiet it to rule that out? I know it's time for me to consider the water pump and crossover pipes but I'd like to pinpoint this first so I have a sequence order here. Thanks!

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frequency increases with increased rpm. Sounds like a bearing?
On my previous saab 9-3 the idler pulley bearings would chirp like crickets shortly before self destructing. Sounded similar. Doesn't seem to be a weak point with LR4's though.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the serpentine belt off and run the engine for a moment.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also try removing the skid plates under the engine. My guess is the sound could be bouncing off those and throwing you off its origin.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*Update* Well, I can rule out the noise coming from the water pump or any related hardware/pipes, etc.... Called the dealer where the vehicle was last serviced (by the PO) and told them I recently purchased the vehicle and without giving me names or actual paperwork could they at least read to me the most recent service work performed and anything major. Didn't care about oil changes or tire rotations but anything that would be a cause for concern outside the "normal" LR issues. The guy was so kind. He said he totally gets it and told me the water pump and all related hardware was performed just 900 miles ago (off my current odometer reading). He rattled off all the parts, hoses and other related stuff so fast I couldn't keep up with it but I got the gist of it. Other than that he said the vehicle had no other major work performed. All brake pads and sensors were done 14K miles ago, tires 8K miles ago and all service work was performed there as well.

Now to zero in on that noise!

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does that rule out anything?
By working on the premise that everything repaired by a Land Rover dealer was done correctly and at only 900 miles and 7 months ago. And even if the noise I'm hearing still was that, at least I have peace of mind knowing that the parts and labor performed are under warranty. So I've ruled out the fact that in the event of catastrophic water pump or related hardware failure, it's not coming out of my pocket anymore. And the strange thing is I drove the car all day today and not once did I hear that noise no matter the condition of driving.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA