Neutral Manual Override?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. So, today’s fun was that I went to hit some balls, came back an hour later and the car was dead, dead. No screens if you hit the start button. Lights still function, locks still work, trunk opened, but no power to the Nav screen, wheel, etc. Probably some sort of computer issue, I’m sure. Jumping did not affect it. IF LAND ROVER PROVIDED ACCESS TO THE BATTERY, I PROBABLY COULD HAVE RESET IT MYSELF. Alas, that’s too much common sense.

So, Land Rover Roadside sends a flatbed. Here’s where it gets interesting. Three m-f hours later the truck arrives, and there is no manual override for the Neutral switch. The vehicle is automatically in park and locked in place. There’s nothing in the literature about a manual switch to Neutral. Land Rover Roadside had no idea to fix this. It’s a Sunday, and no dealership is available to call.

Tow guy puts “skates” on the wheels and slides it up on the truck. I’m concerned about this, but he thinks it’ll be fine.

For future’s sake, anyone know how to manually put a vehicle in Neutral? Did the tow guy just mess up my transmission? Tow guy thought it was a mandated by law to have manual switch, but there’s ZERO information on that option. Another brilliant design choice.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If jumping had no effect then what could you have done if you had accessed the battery directly?

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If jumping had no effect then what could you have done if you had accessed the battery directly?

Disconnecting/reconnecting the battery seems to be the method recommended to re-set the CPU. The car had power. Lights worked, doors locked, computer dead, no way to put vehicle in Neutral.

How do you restart your computer? If this were to happen deep in the woods somewhere, what would LR recommend?

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discovery 5 battery removal instructions can be seen at
but this appears to be the 7-seat version. Mine is a 5-seater and the battery location is shown in

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...so no way to easily access the battery. What about manual neutral override?

MikeP

Reaction score
I’ll have to look it up. It exists.

I had an Evoque prior to this and once had to override the Park setting. In all the newer Rovers it is either under the hood towards the front of the transmission or under the center console.

MikeP

Reaction score
It’s slightly different with the various engines, but this is the 6 cyl petrol engine.

upload_2020-5-8_8-48-5.jpeg

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll peek to see if it’s there when I get it back. Been a week without it, so far. Hoping to get it back next week

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is there, although the plastic but tends to slip putting the car bakc ni to gear so you might have to wedge something into place to hold it there. Although, there is no parking break override/release. Not sure why LR did this even though all the other range rovers and prior discovery’s had one. Perhaps if your battery died they just didn’t want your car moving, at all?

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this something that happens commonly?

Just curious, have actually been thinking of upgrading from LR4 to D5. This would be a problem if I were out camping...

OK. So, today’s fun was that I went to hit some balls, came back an hour later and the car was dead, dead. No screens if you hit the start button. Lights still function, locks still work, trunk opened, but no power to the Nav screen, wheel, etc. Probably some sort of computer issue, I’m sure. Jumping did not affect it. IF LAND ROVER PROVIDED ACCESS TO THE BATTERY, I PROBABLY COULD HAVE RESET IT MYSELF. Alas, that’s too much common sense.

So, Land Rover Roadside sends a flatbed. Here’s where it gets interesting. Three m-f hours later the truck arrives, and there is no manual override for the Neutral switch. The vehicle is automatically in park and locked in place. There’s nothing in the literature about a manual switch to Neutral. Land Rover Roadside had no idea to fix this. It’s a Sunday, and no dealership is available to call.

Tow guy puts “skates” on the wheels and slides it up on the truck. I’m concerned about this, but he thinks it’ll be fine.

For future’s sake, anyone know how to manually put a vehicle in Neutral? Did the tow guy just mess up my transmission? Tow guy thought it was a mandated by law to have manual switch, but there’s ZERO information on that option. Another brilliant design choice.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi