New 2013 LR4 owner with a couple questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChicagoLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a 2013 LR4 and also just joined this forum.

I purchased a Loire Blue/Beige 2013 HSE w/ 59k miles for $23,000 from my local Land Rover dealer and also decided to purchase a 3 year 36,000 mile factory warranty for an additional $5,000 which also included Zurich Shield protection. I've owned 2 Range Rovers in the past and know the drill so Im prepared. I had a couple questions for the forum:

1) Any thoughts on my purchase price and if the $5,000 was worth it ? Its a clean two owner car. No accidents. Biggest repair showing on the carfax is a water pump replacement.

2) Any thoughts on aftermarket Chinese ebay running boards ? I couldnt find any posts by members with any experience with these, but some of the ebay reviews look pretty good. Is DIY easy ?

3) Is there a go-to site for well priced original Land Rover accessories ? Is there a go-to LR4 forum ?

4) Anything in particular I should immediately address or install (upgrade headlight bulbs, oil change, etc) ?

Thanks !

2019-08-26 19.00.32.jpg

2019-08-26 19.00.22.jpg

2019-08-26 19.00.40.jpg

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome & congrats on the new LR4.

That price seems fair on a 2013 (best LR4 model year, IMO) with 59K miles. You should have no problem going through $5K in repairs between now and 95K miles. Some of mine included:
- 2 more water pumps (I'm on water pump #3 at 106K miles)
- New front control arms & bushings
- New front hubs
- New rear hatch actuator
- New rear view camera
- New EAS compressor
- Passenger side valve cover oil leak
- New alternator

You should be able to find used OEM running boards. So many LR4 owners take them off. Check the classified section here or ebay.

Atlantic British has good prices on LR4 maintenance items. Land Rover Merriam has good prices on OEM parts.

Step 1 is to buy a Mityvac on Amazon so you can do your own oil changes.

ChicagoLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info, thx. The dealer still has the car as it needed to be detailed and a few repairs. They had an inspection completed and they found the front control arms worn and noisy and recommend replacement, but they are stating they will not replace them since they havent failed yet. Is this correct ? Shouldnt they be replacing those ? Especially given I purchased extended coverage.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worn & noisy control arms = failed. I'd push for replacement.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they would not pass a state inspection, they have 'failed'. If there are no sypmtoms (thump noise over bumps or upon hard braking, sterring wheel shimmy when braking, etc) then wait it out - they will "fail" and your warranty will work then. It's not a hard and fast rule but they seem to generally fail around 75,000 miles (depending on driving habits).

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's the CPO warranty you purchased (sounds like maybe it wasn't, but not sure), it won't include the control arm bushings as those are considered a wear item.

Otherwise, not sure why they are hesitating to replace them as the warranty company should foot the bill.

As far as an LR4 forum goes, this is best U.S. one, in my opinion. There's also https://www.disco4.com/forum/ for a UK-based forum.

ChicagoLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The warranty is the Land Rover Vehicle Protection Plan which appears to cover just about everything except normal wear and tear items and also includes roadside assistance and a loaner car. There is a $100 deductible per repair. Anyone have experience with this particular warranty and if it doesn't cover something they thought it should ? BTW the dealer finally decided to replace the control arms but only after we escalated the issue to the GM.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is "normal wear and tear" includes the control arm bushings. I had the same clause in my CPO warranty and the bushings were on my dime.

This is why the dealer is giving you resistance on fixing the ones on yours: it would be on their dime.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Step 1 is to buy a Mityvac on Amazon so you can do your own oil changes.

Congrats @ChicagoLR4 on the 2013 HSE.

Agreed, get yourself one of these Mityvacs for around $100 and save approx that much on each oil change vs having it done at the dealer or even indy shop. You've owned previous Rovers so you know how that is. Also, unless the dealer can document the date of the last oil change, go ahead and get that done now. Might as well start off on the right foot and do them every 5K - 7.5K miles from here on out.

Glad to hear that you prevailed on the control arm issue.

One other thing you might consider-- get up under it and take a look at the spare tire. If it's a donut, I would suck it up and get a full-size setup. You will thank yourself the first time you have a flat. I had to delay a holiday family visit after a flat and a donut spare. The next time I had a flat I was out running trails. I had a full-size spare by then and it got me out of the woods and safely home.

Enjoy your new whip and welcome to the LR4 section.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72